"Masterbuilt Butterball Professional Series Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer" on sale

I don't know much about this particular product, capacity-wise, but thought the deal looked ok. It's at least pretty... :)

From the specs, looks to have temp controls from 125-375, drain valve, and can hold a 14 lb turkey. $64.99 + $5 shipping - am sure there's cheaper, but thought I'd share in case anyone has any feedback on this particular model. http://sellout.woot.com/offers/masterbuilt-butterball-turkey-fryer

This deal will be over after only one day, so by end of day THURSDAY it won't be around anymore. Anyone have any insight into this particular fryer?

I have the larger round turkey fryer and there are some differences. First the one above uses less oil - 2 galons vice the 3-5 gallons that the round one will hold/melt. The round one has the drain facing forward ... and the heating element temperature guage also faces forward. With this one the element/guage faces forward but the drain is on a back corner. I got 1 used from a friend which prompted me to get 2 more. I don't see them on their site anymore as a new item.

Found this page with images of the round ones I have. Love them! Larger capacity than a presto and not as expensive as a specifically made water jacket 40# wax melter. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=masterbuilt+electric+turkey+fryers&id=4260E4D006794388ACEA2863C6C685454509AF88&FORM=IQFRBA

I have the larger round turkey fryer and there are some differences. First the one above uses less oil - 2 galons vice the 3-5 gallons that the round one will hold/melt. The round one has the drain facing forward ... and the heating element temperature guage also faces forward. With this one the element/guage faces forward but the drain is on a back corner. I got 1 used from a friend which prompted me to get 2 more. I don't see them on their site anymore as a new item.

Found this page with images of the round ones I have. Love them! Larger capacity than a presto and not as expensive as a specifically made water jacket 40# wax melter. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=masterbuilt+electric+turkey+fryers&id=4260E4D006794388ACEA2863C6C685454509AF88&FORM=IQFRBA

Judy

How well does it work vs the presto pot?

I'm wondering how long it takes to melt wax.

Judy

How well does it work vs the presto pot?

I'm wondering how long it takes to melt wax.

Naturally, since it is larger it does take just a bit longer to melt the wax. I usually will start off with an empty pot and add about 5# of wax. As that melts I add more. My soy flakes seem to melt faster when added to the already melted wax rather than dumping all the flakes in at one time.

I think it depends more on the style of pouring you are used to. I pour several batches of different scents at a time. I'll pour 12 clamshells and 24 1oz ellipso souffles in one aroma at a time (a little less than 4# per FO.) I normally have the space to do 6 FOs at a time and that gets the pot fairly well drained but still leaves enough hot wax to add more flakes. So I will pour the FO in sequence and usually by the time I've finished pouring the last FO the first-poured FO containers are ready to be closed or covered and the labels put on. By the time I get them all done (closed and labeled) the turkey fryer wax is hot enough for round 2. I can usually get 18 aromas comfortably poured in one day (labels pre-made of course.) HTH

Edited by Judy, USMC
to clarify the sequencing