Does anyone make chunk style melts?

kimmeroo

I know what you mean I need more wax too..I probably won't have the time now until Fall to play..I own a soft serve custard shop and we open in april..so all of my time will be devoted to that. I have been trying to get this scoopable wax thing perfected. I am pleased with what I have accomplished so far..now I am wanting to pipe it and have no clue how...trial and error..so that will be put on hold as well. :( Good luck with it Mullberry! :)

Aw sucks that you cannot test until Fall (but how cool is your store!!??Yummy!!) I will post my results when I get more wax regarding the chunks.

The scoopable and chunks will still be going strong when you can resume testing, they both seem to be the hot thing right now, as well as candles that look like desserts etc.

I have seen some scoopable wax from vendors that is so smooth and scoopable and I have seen some from different vendors that is like hard ice cream, very hard to scoop out but the ct and ht are excellent.

• 1 month later...
Thanks I've found one place that sells it, I'm going to get some

Thanks for the info. I'll remember not to order fried chicken if I visit the UK.

I live in the state famous for "Maryland Fried Chicken". Crisco is as important to the recipe as "the bird". Nothing beats Crisco . . . (Except maybe . . . lard . . . SSSH! . . . Please don't tell my DW. She thinks her fried chicken is the BEST. It's about the only thing I can get her to cook anymore, so I just agree with her. I actually like mine better, but I'll keep that to myself.)

What do they fry Fish n' Chips in? OIL ??? *shudder*

Dave

I have this quote in my notes, I found it amusing. However I did forget to make note of where I found it, it was back in my searching the web for candle info days. I have smelled rancid crisco, so I don't think I would be making candles with it any time soon. :tongue2:

Vegetable shortening (aka Crisco)

crisco_logo.gif Believe it or not but the product known today as "Crisco" (the name is derived from "crystallized cottonseed oil") was developped in 1911 by Procter & Gamble to replace the expensive animal fats used back then to make candles!

It was the first shortening to be made entirely from vegetable oil. But because electricity soon began to replace candle light and because the product resembled lard, Procter & Gamble started selling it as... food.

Because of its chemical structure, paraffin expands when heated and contracts when is cools off. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it: the contracting part greatly helps when the time has come to remove a candle from a mold but it's not welcome in the case of container candles where you want the wax to stick to the glass container.

Also because of its chemical structure, vegetable shortening like Crisco does NOT expand/contract according to its temperature. The logical conclusion is that, by mixing equal amounts of paraffin and shortening, you will end up with a mixture that will be 50% less prone to expansion/contraction than straight paraffin.

If you don't have access to special container blends, or if you're a die-hard do-it-yourself'er, you can mix your own container wax by incorporating Crisco (or any other vegetable shortening) into your formula.

The exact proportions depend on several factors: the type of base paraffin, the shortening itself, the other additives you may use... You will more than probably have to test and test again before you find a formula you really like. But if you want a kick start, visit the page about container candles formulas, your will find a starting point for your research.

In small proportions, Crisco gives a nice creamy look to your candles, even pillars or votives.

I think they use oil in fish and chip shops yes

Thanks for the info, I only want some to try to see if it helps in the piping bag for making cupcake candles , as I am finding soy wax sets up too quick and the piping nozzle gets clogged

I've just been to Waitrose which is a supermarket over here and asked for Crisco, they looked at me gone out! They don't sell it, but I've just been told by a friend I can buy it from a sex shop lol as they use it for ermm well I can't say on here , no wonder they looked at me weird in the supermarket

I think they use oil in fish and chip shops yes

Thanks for the info, I only want some to try to see if it helps in the piping bag for making cupcake candles , as I am finding soy wax sets up too quick and the piping nozzle gets clogged

I've just been to Waitrose which is a supermarket over here and asked for Crisco, they looked at me gone out! They don't sell it, but I've just been told by a friend I can buy it from a sex shop lol as they use it for ermm well I can't say on here , no wonder they looked at me weird in the supermarket

I suppose it's a cultural thing! Over here they like to have "Wesson Oil Parties" or so I've heard!

I'm not sure I will ever enjoy my DW's fried chicken ever again!

Gimme Lard! My arteries still have a bit of room left!