Wick priming

Hi,

Just wondered if someone might be able to help me. I am getting some raw cd wick, I want to prime it, I think I know what to do but not sure what wax to prime it in? I use rapeseed container wax with a small amount of paraffin added in. Any ideas on what to prime the wick in?

Thanks

You want to prime in a higher point melt wax than you are using for the candle. I use raw wick for my pillars and I prime in beeswax for now, but I'm ordering a 2 pound amount of high point paraffin for wick priming.

Before I used the beeswax for priming I just used the 4625 and my wicks would slouch a little when burning. They stand better when they are primed in beeswax.

I usually prime in microcrystalline wax. You can get some really high MP stuff, like 200 degree or so. The high MP prime burns just fine and yes, it does stand better. I also sort of think it gives a more consistent burn.

The way I prime is melting the micro in the presto then dropping in some of the wick (about 10 feet or so) and let it stay there until the wick foams (pushing the air out of the core) and then the foaming stops.

When I pull it out, I drape it so that it dries straight. It does tend to form beads on the outside a bit. One of these days I'll figure out a way to run it through a set of hand held rollers when extracting from the pot to get rid of the excess.

Edited by EricofAZ

We've primed with microcrystalline here too and they worked out very well. I twist them right away while hot, hold for about 30 seconds (or until cool) and they are good to go.

HTH and GL

Thanks I will def give the microcrystalline a try

I use whatever wax I am using at the time to prime my wicks.

I've done that too. Its better than using a dry spool wick and I don't notice very much difference between the micro and just the wax that is in the pot. There is some difference like the higher MP micro helping the wick to stand better, but I tend to underwick my candles so the wicks don't really have much of a problem with standing in containers.