What wick brand/size for Igi 4630 wax?

BPP

With igi 4630 wax in 6oz. tin with 2.8 inches wide.

No dye/FO with 44-32-18z.

Starting from left with pics.

1st pic 1st 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

2nd pic 2nd 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

3rd pic 3rd 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

4th pic bottom row 4th 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

It's half way down the tin.

I think I need to wick up.

post-13836-139458504613_thumb.jpg

post-13836-139458504618_thumb.jpg

post-13836-139458504622_thumb.jpg

post-13836-139458504626_thumb.jpg

Edited by BPP

It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it's not cleaning up the sides at all, even at halfway down. I would complete the test with the 44s to be sure it doesn't catch up - but so long as it didn't make the sides too hot I would probably go to a 51.

You may want to consider what FO you are using too - if it's a 'tougher' fo it may just be that that requires the wicking up, as in, possibly not all fo's would require a 51.

4630 wax in 6oz. tin with 2.8 inches wide.

No dye/FO with 51-32-18z.

Starting from left with pics.

1st pic 1st 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

2nd pic 2nd 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

3rd pic 3rd 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

4th pic bottom row left 4th 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

5th pic bottom row right 5th 2 hrs 50 min Burn.

Still did not catch up to the sides!

I think I will try HTP 62 next.

post-13836-139458504719_thumb.jpg

post-13836-139458504723_thumb.jpg

post-13836-139458504726_thumb.jpg

post-13836-13945850473_thumb.jpg

post-13836-139458504733_thumb.jpg

Edited by BPP

• 2 weeks later...

No Dye/Fo.

I've tried all Zinc, HTP and Eco wicks in the range size for this tin size....and nothing worked.

Another thing is the wax is not cooling correctly...I poured at 160 degrees.

It has sunken down around the wick and going up towards the edges.

The tops are not even across and as it burns down you can see cracks in the wax (see pic above).

Can that cause wick burning problems? Maybe that's why none of the wicks are working?

And then finally I was wondering if this even igi 4630 wax....because of all these problems.

Edited by BPP

I use 4630 all the time and don't see any of the above problems. I pour at 175 and find that HTP wicks work very well. Have never seen a crack, tops are butter smooth, and there is very little shrinkage. I'd get another sample of 4630 and see if you get the same results.

I'm a huge fan of ECO wicks and used them in the Harmony and the J waxes. The cotton cores work better for me in the pillars. That's about it. One of the things I've tried to do was wick so that if the candle was blown out (instead of wick drowning), the smoke would be minimal and the ECO's do that for me. I don't know if I'm using wicks that get the max HT, but not having excessive smoke is a plus.

I use 4630 all the time and don't see any of the above problems. I pour at 175 and find that HTP wicks work very well. Have never seen a crack, tops are butter smooth, and there is very little shrinkage. I'd get another sample of 4630 and see if you get the same results.

I contacted the seller and they said they pour from the same boxes of wax that they sell to customers and they haven't had any problems with 4630.

Then they asked me at what temp im melting/pouring wax at and other stuff. So I told them and I haven't heard back from them, its been 6 days.

So I will not buy from them again.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Dye can change it - too much/dark colors especially can clog or "slow down" the wick. You are probably close.. but test test test just to be sure. jmho

Ok now I have the correct wick size 44-32z for 6 oz tin 3.8 inch diameter with no dye/fo.

Now I have started testing with Dye.

Edited by BPP

A few observations:

First, do you plan to sell them with no dye and color? If no, then don't waste your time testing that way. In that diameter container with 4630 a 51-32-18z will work well. The thing you want to do though is actually burn 4 hours a burn cycle. Use a timer! This is recommended and the length of time a candle should be burned. It should be reasonably close after the first 4 hour burn but may take 2-3 cycles to fully melt all the way across leaving no hang up.

Second. Don't go by charts. Most are not based on your wax. Most wick charts are based on a straight paraffin wax with no additives. You're not using that and it won't be accurate. They are just a starting point. If you're not burning right after following the info above, then wick up. I only make one container and pull wicks and use a heat gun to correct as I test. For that diameter the following wicks are all in the same size range and should all work or be pretty close in that jar/wax:

51-32-18z

CD 12

HTP 93

LX 20

51-32-18P

51-32-18C

Eco 8

Just remember, 4 hours. That is what is recommended. I would also test based on how you plan to sell. :)

I poured at 175, 160 and 150 and having the same results of getting shrinkage. And I have bought 4630 from 2 different suppliers.

So I was thinking I have been pouring just 3.5 oz for my test candle and maybe it is cooling to fast! What do you think?

Ok now I have the correct wick size 44-32z for 6 oz tin 3.8 inch diameter with no dye/fo.

Now I have started testing with Dye.

I used brown dye chip with 44-32z.

It was the correct wick size.

Edited by BPP