Smooth mason jar help please

Hello

I have a general store asking me to make them some candles to sell. They really like the 16oz smooth mason jar look, not my jelly jars.... So I have to make some of these and test, test, test.

I bought some of the Ball pint jars at Wally World to try before I buy the plain ones.

The mouth is the same size as the jar, so I am guessing wide mouth. They are 3" diameter.

I have a few wax choices to choose from.

4630 I like the ease of use but the hot throw is not as good as 4627

4627 great hot throw but a bit messy, not sure how well it will do in the summer though. The shop does not have AC.

4786 great wax, does require second pour though.

I'm leaning towards the 4786 because of the heat in the summer.

What I would like is a starting point with these waxes in this jar.

For wicks I have:

CD, HTP, LX, & Zinc.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the zinc but they do work and for some reason the LX works great for some jars, but the CD almost always give me a better hot throw.

I know it's only 3" but would I need to double wick this?

I'm going to pour a couple of jars in each wax to begin with.

TIA

Hello

I have a general store asking me to make them some candles to sell. They really like the 16oz smooth mason jar look, not my jelly jars.... So I have to make some of these and test, test, test.

I bought some of the Ball pint jars at Wally World to try before I buy the plain ones.

The mouth is the same size as the jar, so I am guessing wide mouth. They are 3" diameter.

I have a few wax choices to choose from.

4630 I like the ease of use but the hot throw is not as good as 4627

4627 great hot throw but a bit messy, not sure how well it will do in the summer though. The shop does not have AC.

4786 great wax, does require second pour though.

I'm leaning towards the 4786 because of the heat in the summer.

What I would like is a starting point with these waxes in this jar.

For wicks I have:

CD, HTP, LX, & Zinc.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the zinc but they do work and for some reason the LX works great for some jars, but the CD almost always give me a better hot throw.

I know it's only 3" but would I need to double wick this?

I'm going to pour a couple of jars in each wax to begin with.

TIA

I've never seen smooth wide-mouth masons, only smooth regular-mouth masons. I don't have a lot of experience with pint masons, but lately I've been testing the regular-mouth Ball pint mason with 4627 and HTP 93 wick. It works well, the HT is very good, but it leaves a thin waxy film on the jar, so I was thinking of using the equivalent size CD wick instead, which would be the CD 12, since CD's burn a bit hotter. I don't think the HTP 93 would work in a wide-mouth pint mason because there's not as much shoulder on the jar to trap heat.

Edited by HorsescentS

Hi there Old Crab!! :) I do use the 4786 (HATE the second pour, BUT love the wax and throw), but I have used this wax since I have opened my business 12 yrs ago and it has never let me down. I make the 16 oz regular mouth mason jars and just love the look of them and how you can decorate them in so many ways. I use only one of the 51-32-18 zinc wick in them. The masons in any shape/size is excellent for a general store...good for you for getting the account!!:yay: Hope you sell tons!!

Edited by puma52