Candlewic container palm

I bought a few lbs last Christmas and made 12 candles (half pint canning jars)  and most got those big holes. I had fun cracking them - reminded me of cracking the thin layer of ice from puddles when I was a child.

Anyway, I'd like to use it up. I have wood wicks in various sizes (which I tried last year and found that most were too hot: big flame, melted wax changed color), and also have eco wicks in various sizes.

I have hurricane jars which are about 11 ounces, and just over 3 inches across at the very top. Can you give me an idea of which wicks to start with? I just want to make a useable candle so I don't waste materials. Fragrance is not necessary.  I probably won't continue with palm unless it works well with wood wicks.  (I'm obsessed with crackling wicks!)   Thanks!

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

What wood wicks have you tried?

I tried wood wick ordered from LoneStar and Nature's Garden last year.  They are similar to Wood Wicks in shape, but no boostsers. I used the 1/2 inch and larger sizes for palm wax as instructed by LoneStar.   There was no crackle from any of them, some wouldn't stay lit . Did not scent the candles.  I gave up on the whole lot and chucked all but 3 of them. Didn't keep the few notes I made of them because at the time I just gave up on candles!   (but then I went candles shopping again and the price of WoodWick candles (best burning) is more than I want to pay, and the quality of Nature's Wick brand of candles drastically dropped from Christmas 2015 to 2016 and I won't buy them now.  So...here I am again stretching my patience and small ability to pay attention to details!!  :)

Btw, I checked the details on the hurricane jars to see how many ounces they held - and couldn't verity it was 11 ounces. I know it took about 2. 30 lbs of wax to fill 3 jars. 

Edited by lenarenee

Those I have seen from lone star are the "dual" wicks from the wooden wick company. Duals are two smooth wicks glued together. Those don't work in any of my waxes. 

The wooden wick company holds all wooden wick patents, so other candle retailers pick and choose which of the full line they wish to carry, 

the wicks i have had luck with in glass glow are direct from the wooden wick company. Original booster, 1/4" wide x 0.03 in a square mason. Similar in a salsa jar. You need to really watch the starting wick length when lighting. If untrimmed they can get out of hand very quickly in palm. Once trimmed almost level with the wax and lit thy burn perfectly for long spans if you have the right size and type. Otherwise, formtraditional wicks the best in my salsa jars were rrd50 and rrd55. A tall straight sided 12 oz sauce jar did well with an rrd40. Beautiful flames, left a thin shell that glowed, then burned down with the candle.

surprisingly the wicks direct are a lot cheaper for wicks and sustainer bases than other popular retailers.

Wonder what would happen if I broke a Lonestar dual wick in half,lengthwise?  That's not high on my list of experiments - just a thought. I'm sticking with the "real" ones the WW company for now.  Hmm..except between the cocowax testing and now palm....I'll be using those small sized wooden wicks up very quickly!