how much should my candle cost?

Well, this is what I do...

4.88 x 2 = 9.76 that is wholesale.

4.88 x 3 = 14.64 that is LOW retail

4.88 x 4 = 19.52 that is HIGH retail.

I stay towards high retail, but more than low retail. I would not sell that candle for less than 15.00 each or 18.00 each or 2/35.00.

Alot depends on what your market will handle. Some people can only get 5.50 for a jj and others can get 8.00 or more for the same jj.

tootie

Well, this is what I do...

4.88 x 2 = 9.76 that is wholesale.

4.88 x 3 = 14.64 that is LOW retail

4.88 x 4 = 19.52 that is HIGH retail.

I stay towards high retail, but more than low retail. I would not sell that candle for less than 15.00 each or 18.00 each or 2/35.00.

Alot depends on what your market will handle. Some people can only get 5.50 for a jj and others can get 8.00 or more for the same jj.

tootie

thanks. i was going to sell my candles for $15, but i thought it would be too much, esp. since im just starting out. I thought i should sell them for $10 for now, and if all goes well, i can raise the price.

You don't want to increase your price that much at a later date, have your prices set correctly now, as slight increases are happening now in supplies. What type of jar do you use, wax, etc.? That should factor into your cost and what the market will tolerate. A few people on this board undercut themselves to make a sale, but if you do that you aren't making a good profit.

You will find out that there are a ton of candle makers and tons of people who will tell you how great Walmart and the Dollar Store candles are. Do NOT let that be your marketing guideline. Also, buy in bulk when feasible.

Also, check the spelling on pariffin.

Also, you say you are just starting out....are you new to making candles?? If so make sure you have spent enough time testing and learning about your product. It takes time and MONEY to make a wonderful product. Take your time and develope a great candle....then worry about selling.

If you are not new to making candles then ignore this post...:embarasse

tootie

So you are just new here then...WELCOME!! There is so much to learn here. I learn something everyday and I have been at it for a few years...

I used to only use soy but have since switched to a para/soy blend and am also experimenting with my own mix. I like BOTH the worlds that soy and paraffin have to offer.

tootie

http://www.candlecauldron.com/ - Some good starter information here...

Look to the right and click on the candle that says..

Candle pricing worksheet - You can print it out and it may help you..

thanks!

i havent tried soy yet. I would love to try it though. I do know that soy is kinda hard to work with (scents working with it). Im working with IGI 4630 right now and love it.

The short answer to that is "if it works dont fix it" but most of us here have inquisitve (sp?) minds so you end up trying new stuff more often than not.

I wish I had played more with the parasoys in the past few years. Then I would not have had so much ummm headaches....i guess, when I had to change.

I am having fun with the testing though....I really am....:grin2:

tootie

Welcome to the asylum! If you're not crazy now, wait a few years dealing with the "public".

Anyway, not to be a wet blanket, if I were you, I'd take a look at your costs. $4.88 to make a 12 oz candle sounds a tad high to me. I make, by all accounts, a very good parasoy candle, and my cost for a 16 oz container with lid is under $3.00.

Tweak your costs before you offer them for sale, because price increases, while usually necessary, are tough for your customers to accept.

Fredron