Tealights: metal vs plastic....metal so thin...opinions?

I would love to provide my customers with samples of my candle fragrances in the form of tealights. Eventually selling packages of tealights too. I have done my research and it seems the consensus is that the metal tealight cups are much safer than the plastic. I'm all about safety but can't help but feel like the metal tealight holders are so thin and cheap looking/feeling. They dent so easily and I guess don't look as pretty when burned on their own. I ordered the cups from Candlescience. Does anyone know of tealight cups that are metal but sturdier? Better looking?

Is there such a thing as a safer plastic-like substance for tealight cups?

Thanks! I hope someone has come across this issue too.

• 4 months later...

You can get plastic tea light cups that are certified flame retardant. I am sure that most are by now, but you will definitely have to ask around. I use them myself because of the benefit of being able to see the whole candle rather than just the top. I also generally dislike the metal cups. The plastic cups are also recyclable.

HTH

I"m not selling yet and am unsure which I'll market.

What I did for home/family use is make both. I won't use the plastic ones for tea lights that have a semi enclosed lower portion but will use them for the type that has an open area for the tea light to sit in. Just seemed to me the semi enclosed area caused them to get too hot. While I didn't have any burn or melt, it was a concern...for me.

CS does have some that are UL approved flame retardant:

http://www.candlescience.com/containers/clear-plastic-tealight-cups/

I don't do straight soy, but I do use tealights as samplers. I suppose I have given away about 2000 of the polycarbonate flame resistant ones and burn tested over 100.

I wouldn't do tealights at all if my only option were the metal foil ones. They are disgusting (IMO) in appearance and have to be reshaped by hand before wicking and pouring. I've noticed some suppliers have stopped selling them.

I've never had anyone report any safety issue with our tealight gifts. We include a burning instruction/safety sheet with each free one that we pass out in a 3" X 3" zip lock bag. The two-side printed sheet is stapled to the bag. We urge they be burned in a proper holder. At times we have even passed out some holders to some of our better customers.

There are/were on the market polycarbonate votive molds/holders that claim to be fire resistant and OK to burn a votive in. I don't know about all of the brands, but the first one we tested as a "holder" melted at the top and I extinquished it just about the time it was ready to catch fire. It took less than a half hour or so for the meltdown to occur.

We have a small shop, but we have given up trying to sell tealights and votives. We had no sales at a price where we covered our material expenses let alone our labor. You may find your market to be different.

Good luck!

JMO/HTH

I use the plastic ones from Candlescience and I have never had an issue. I have used straight soy as well as paraffin blends and 6006 with fragrances and colors. I only use the TL wick series and even with the TL25 (the largest I have ever used) I can pick up the plastic container without it burning me.