Admittedly, math is not my friend, but 1 oz. of FO to 1 lb. of wax? Really?

Paraffin.

I started with KY133 (from RE/AH) and have recently been using IGI 4794 (from CS and from LS).

FO's from RE/AH, LS, CS and NG.

I just ordered IGI 4625 and IGI 4630. Just 2 lb. samples to play with.

I am not familiar with KY133 but I do use IGI 4794 which is called a votive wax and has a 3% to 6% FO range. Also notice that the working/pouring temp of 4794 is 165 to 185 deg.F so adding a FO at 190 sounds reasonable to me and then let it stir and cool to 175 and pour. If that is has good cold throw but don't expect super HT. Adding more than 6% FO might cause weeping.

I find that 4625 Pillar wax works just as well but has the same characteristics of 6% FO and temp range. I use LX wicks for these waxes.

I also use 4630 as a container wax, it is much, much softer and can hold more FO, I get good CT and HT with a lot of Peaks and CS FOs but not all. I heat 4630 to 185 and FO and pour at 175. I find that HTP wicks work well with it.

Oh, and don't start off using a bakery FO with 4630, try a floral but not Monkey Farts. Peaks Orange Blossom works very well.

Let us know how the new waxes work for you.

Edited by rjdaines

Oh, and don't start off using a bakery FO with 4630, try a floral but not Monkey Farts. Peaks Orange Blossom works very well.

Yeah, I think a known good thrower fragrance works well for testing.

I did that back in late winter to get the wax blend I'm going to be using from here on out. Using CS Odor Remover as my tester is what brought me to the blend. That FO throws so good, I can back it down to 1/2-3/4 oz in parasoy or paraffin so it made for an inexpensive testing FO.

Thank you both so much!!

I think I am not adding FO's hot enough. I was adding at 175-180 and then pouring much cooler.

Since I make them for myself, guess what my favorites are? BAKERY!

The ones that did not work well for me were: Graham Cracker, Vermont Maple Syrup, Cotton Candy and Snickerdoodle Cookies.

The ones that have been fantastic are: Baked Apple, Hot Apple Pie, Peaches and Cream, Fruit Slices, Toasted Marshmallow, Lemon Pound Cake, Flannel Sheets.

I am going to play with the new wax when it arrives, watch that I am not adding FO's at too cool temps and pour at higher temps than I have been.

Thanks for your patience and time!!

I just ordered IGI 4625 and IGI 4630. Just 2 lb. samples to play with

I think you will be very pleased with the results of those two waxes mixed.

Was your Baked Apple & Hot Apple Pie from AH/RE? I cannot get an excellent HT out of any HAP. I also like low spice in it personally and a few of my future customers (friends/family) don't like a lot of cinnamon but do like some. Pumpkin...that is another I have to do some searching on before Aug 1. Had trouble with that FO too.

Have fun! Can't wait to hear your results.

Was your Baked Apple & Hot Apple Pie from AH/RE? I cannot get an excellent HT out of any HAP. I also like low spice in it personally and a few of my future customers (friends/family) don't like a lot of cinnamon but do like some. Pumpkin...that is another I have to do some searching on before Aug 1. Had trouble with that FO too.

Have fun! Can't wait to hear your results.

I get great throw from AH/RE's HAP (4625/4630) To me, it's more apple than spice too. If you find a pumpkin you like, be sure to review it... I'm still searching for that one too but do have some from CS ordered.

I get great throw from AH/RE's HAP (4625/4630) To me, it's more apple than spice too. If you find a pumpkin you like, be sure to review it... I'm still searching for that one too but do have some from CS ordered.

I think AH/RE is the best I've tried so far but want more HT when wicked. So far my list from what others have gave good reviews are (BW) Apple Butter. If it smells at all like the inside of an apple pie w/good HT, I'll be happy to add my own cinnamon, clove and crust. Another on the list is (ICS) Baked Apple.

For pumpkin, I've got The Great Pumpkin (TCS) so far to order. Do have (TCS) Baked Apple Pie here but OOB its not causing me to jump up and put it in wax. Its really close to AH/RE OOB. We'll see once I do.

I bought one from AH/RE that is Baked Apple HI type. Do not know what this is supposed to smell like but its not anything close to anything baked apple to my nose OOB. I think I smell clove or a synthetic clove, a bit of apple and after that I don't know.

I've been testing FOs in tart blend first in 1 oz size. If they have excellent HT then they go on the list to order more to wick. Since I have 3 jar sizes to wick test, I've wasted way too much wax testing new FOs in containers last year. 1/2 of my tart blend is 1/2 of my container blend so it gives me a fairly good idea if they are worth ordering a larger amount of.

I will review any good pumpkin if I run across one.

I typically use KY's Apple Pie and have been happy with it, and when I saw AH/RE had the HI type I was super excited. I put it in wax and was totally disappointed, as the HI type used to be my favorite candle of all time! I just finished burning CS Apple Harvest. It has a nice combo of apple, spice and a bit of peach to it, and I think if you mixed it with a pie crust it might do the trick. I was super impressed with the HT in my 50/50 blend of wax with zinc wicks.

Everyone here preaches 1oz per pound for a starting point. The folks who say they can make a wicked throw with that ratio either have a secret supplier or are just messin with us. I found that 12 to 18 percent gets the job done for most scent suppliers and wax. Some scents are stronger and can be reduced, most are not.

However, higher FO loads tend to change the burn rather dramatically and sometimes sweat out if too much so the next key is to get the additives right to hold the higher load and then get the wick right which is something that nobody here can help with. They will, as I will, tell you to Test, Test, Test.

(Based on 1oz pp, the advice on this website for wicking is worth listening to. When you go outside the box, you're on your own, as am I.)

12-18%? Most wax won't even hold that much oil.

I agree about the oz per pound, though. I'm convinced a lot of people think their candles are better than they really are. With very little deviation, I've used 8% on candles with wicks and 9% on wickless and tarts.

I typically use KY's Apple Pie and have been happy with it, and when I saw AH/RE had the HI type I was super excited. I put it in wax and was totally disappointed, as the HI type used to be my favorite candle of all time! I just finished burning CS Apple Harvest. It has a nice combo of apple, spice and a bit of peach to it, and I think if you mixed it with a pie crust it might do the trick. I was super impressed with the HT in my 50/50 blend of wax with zinc wicks.

Thanks debscent....I'm sure a lot of us are looking for good, strong FOs right now so those who share good experiences (or bad) can save us all a lot of money :)

I do have CS Apple Harvest on my list now of a 1 ouncer to try. I had a crust at one time but don't think it will be too hard to replace through reviews.

I broke down today and heated up wax to test a few of these I've had laying around since late winter. Just a couple tarts and votives each. After putting TCS BAP in wax, to my nose it still smells like a dupe of AH/RE HAP. Will see when I get it to heat if it changes.

I'm going at 1.5 oz pp since they are tarts and votives and will review if I get a good result from the TCS one. Also, mixed up CW Pumpkin and CC VV but don't think its going to be a keeper. The pumpkin so far doesn't smell strong or as rich as some others I've tried. Will review that also if it turns out good once its put to a melter.