Making Soy Tarts for the First Time!

GirlBoyGirl

Hello! I am new here, and I have decided to try my hand at making some soy tarts, just for fun and just for me. I realize a TON goes into making candles, but someone gave me a 10lb bag of brand new soy flakes so I thought I would give it a try, since I am a tart addict anyway! All the bag says is "100% all natural Soy flakes" and I bought some FOs from a candle supplier.

I am only going to be making very small batches since its just for me, and I only have 1oz of each fragrance anyway (10 total). I guess I will pour them into 2oz cups. How much soy flakes should I melt and how much FO should I add? And at what temp do I add the FO for soy?

I have to say, when this wax is used up, I will probably just go back to buying from all of you wonderful candle makers! I have 3 toddlers, so therefore no time, and yours are all so much prettier than I know mine will be! I have already bookmarked some of your sites (which is why it is good for you all to put your link in your siggy I guess!) and will be shopping soon!

Well thank you for any help you can provide!!!

Edited by GirlBoyGirl

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

01) How much soy flakes should I melt? That depends on how many tarts you are trying to make. I noticed you said "pour them into 2 oz cups". Assuming you mean the wax and you are planning on making 2 oz tarts, 1 lb of wax makes (8) 2oz tarts. If you can, buy a kitchen scale (it will make your life a whole lot easier) and use that to weigh out exactly how much wax you want.

02) How much FO should I add? It depends on what kind of wax you are using and many other factors. A good place to start is 1 oz of fragrance oil per pound of wax. So if you are making 8 oz (1/2 lb) of wax, use .5 oz of fragrance oil. Fragrance oil ALSO needs to be weighed on a kitchen scale.

03) And at what temp do I add the FO for soy? It depends on the wax you are using. Every wax is different. But I do sugguest adding the fragrance oil after the wax is off the heat and right before you pour. Stir for two minutes and then pour.

Edited by laurenscandlebakery

Thanks so much! Yes I meant to make 2oz tarts. So that is very helpful that you said with a lb of wax, I would end up with eight 2oz tarts then, thanks!

I have a postal scale, will that work? lol

Well the wax I am using is soy flakes, thats all it says... I guess I could ask the person who gave it to me if they have any more details.

I have a postal scale, will that work? lol

Yes, it will lol. I'm still using one we got free years ago from stamps.com. It only weighs to tenth of ounces but works for me on candles (not B&B).

So, on your postal scale if you are looking to put in 1/2 ounce then you would want the scale to be at .5 or .50 depending how it displays. One ounce would be 1.0. Where mine drives me crazy is trying to get 7/8 or something like that and then I just round up or down depending the the FO.

Have fun, welcome to the world of wax and prepare yourself for the possible addiction that sneaks up :)

I've never used a postal scale before so I'm not sure what its like. As long as it measures lbs and oz's, you should be fine.

Here's a link to the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Digital-Kitchen-Tempered/dp/B003MSZBSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341590519&sr=8-1&keywords=ozeri+kitchen+scale if you want to compare the specs.

Have fun!

I am new also and buy from others. I tried making some on my own just for my own use and it is really fun. For me, if I was doing it as a business it would take the fun away for me. Like you, I'll leave that to the experts!

What type of FO's did you get?

Cannot wait to hear about your results.

I've never used a postal scale before so I'm not sure what its like. As long as it measures lbs and oz's, you should be fine.

Here's a link to the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Digital-Kitchen-Tempered/dp/B003MSZBSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341590519&sr=8-1&keywords=ozeri+kitchen+scale if you want to compare the specs.

I like the looks of that scale and the price. I bought one rather cheap and it automatically shuts off before I'm done getting my stuff ready to put on it so it was a total waste of money. I'll have to read more about the one in the link so see if it shuts off fast and might get it before I start the candles back up in Aug.

Have fun!

I am new also and buy from others. I tried making some on my own just for my own use and it is really fun. For me, if I was doing it as a business it would take the fun away for me. Like you, I'll leave that to the experts!

What type of FO's did you get?

Cannot wait to hear about your results.

Thanks! Well I got some FOs from the Virginia Candle Supply Company, found them on Ebay and I figured since I am also in VA that shipping would be cheap. She was really nice and even threw in 5 free wicks!!! I got some of my fave scents (Apple, Pumpkin, Butt Naked, Monkey Farts, Cotton Candy). Can't wait to try them tomorrow!

Thanks! Well I got some FOs from the Virginia Candle Supply Company, found them on Ebay and I figured since I am also in VA that shipping would be cheap. She was really nice and even threw in 5 free wicks!!! I got some of my fave scents (Apple, Pumpkin, Butt Naked, Monkey Farts, Cotton Candy). Can't wait to try them tomorrow!

Fun! Don't forget to post your results for us :)

I like the looks of that scale and the price. I bought one rather cheap and it automatically shuts off before I'm done getting my stuff ready to put on it so it was a total waste of money. I'll have to read more about the one in the link so see if it shuts off fast and might get it before I start the candles back up in Aug.

I really recommend it! After the "in laws" leave, I'll mess around with it and try to time how long it stays on. I've never had a problem with it shutting off on me, though. It was a great buy. I originally had bought the Biggest Loser scale at Walmart for $19. It was a piece of junk! I weighed the same thing several times and it gave me a different weight each time.

I really recommend it! After the "in laws" leave, I'll mess around with it and try to time how long it stays on. I've never had a problem with it shutting off on me, though. It was a great buy. I originally had bought the Biggest Loser scale at Walmart for $19. It was a piece of junk! I weighed the same thing several times and it gave me a different weight each time.

Its sitting in the cart at Amazon. When I went back and read it does say it has an automatic shutoff after 1 minute. It doesn't say if that can be adjusted but I think a minute would work out fine for me. Am going to see how long the one here actually does take. I'm guessing 15 seconds or 30 at most. Its ridiculous....turn it on, open the FO, get my little pouring cup, turn around to put on scale and its off.

The reviews on yours are good and being like one person described as a full sheet of tempered glass is a nice feature. Plus its not bulky and its sooo pretty :)

Ok I got more info on the wax! It is Golden Blend 415 and has a FO load of 8%

So do I just proceed as originally instructed with the 1oz of FO per 1lb of wax? Thanks!!!

For 415 you would use 1 oz pp wax, yes. You can go higher (up to 1.5 oz pp) if you find the HT isn't where you'd like it to be. It does need a cure time to bring out good HT of about a week for best results. Even a little longer might be better if you can stand waiting that long.

I think you might like the results you get from that wax. IMO, its a nice soy to work with and HT can be very good. Not all FOs work well with soy but you won't know until you try or search the forum. There is a sticky and/or thread on FOs that chandlers have reported play nice with soy.

I should add that 415 is a container wax. There is nothing wrong with making tarts using it for your own use if you want. If you decide to sell them you may want to add a little pillar blend. Then again you may find you feel they are fine as is.

415 accepts the addition of paraffin real well if you ever decide you want to play with blending a bit.

Edited by jeanie353

Thank you so much for that great info!!! I will make "container" tarts, then, and just pour them into little condiment cups so that when I want to use them, I just dump it into my warmer. Ok, gonna go try now! :)

There ya go! :)

I've made them using the little tart molds and they held up ok for me when put in poly bags as long as I didn't pile too many bags on top of each other.

Well I made some Gummy Bear tarts but all I had to pour them in were some pumpkin ice molds, oh well! I also made a Apple Jack jar candle. Can't wait to try them all! How many days should I let them cure?

Also, how long does it take on average for the wax to cool down to the appropriate temp to add the FO? It seemed to take forever! I only had a candy thermometer so I hope that was ok!

Thanks again!

What temp are you taking your wax to? You wouldn't want to cool it down before you add FO - that should be added when it's 170 - 180 - then let it cool down before you pour... is that what you meant?

Edited by ksranch

Can't wait to try them all! How many days should I let them cure?

4-7 would be ideal...if you can do it. How about this for excuses.......Take one and burn it now or tomorrow, then the others in a week to know the difference with HT in soy after curing

4-7 would be ideal...if you can do it. How about this for excuses.......Take one and burn it now or tomorrow, then the others in a week to know the difference with HT in soy after curing

I'll just trust you! I have plenty of others that I bought that will tide me over (they are probably better anyway!)

What temp are you taking your wax to? You wouldn't want to cool it down before you add FO - that should be added when it's 170 - 180 - then let it cool down before you pour... is that what you meant?

No I guess I was confused. I heated it until it melted all the way and then I poured it onto a smaller glass pot which would then make it easier to then pour it into the tiny molds. And then when it cooled down to about 100, I added the FO and poured it right into the molds. Sooo, was that wrong?? LOL!

I thought because the wax said pour temp of 100 that you added the scent at 100 and poured it into the molds. Oops! Thats why I only used 1 oz of scent, because I knew I would mess up! ;p

So, instead you melt it and add the FO as soon as it is melted? And then you let it cool and pour? Haha oh well ;)

I don't use soy - I use pariffin - so one of the soy experts will chime in I'm sure - but as far as I know you need to add the FO at a high temp. Melt point is not high enough for the wax I use as far as adding FO - I add it at about 175.