Double Boiler Help & a few more questions?

Hello I could use some help/advice. i got a candle making kit and with it came a metal pouring pitcher. I was told to use this pitcher to melt the wax in by setting the pitcher inside a pot with 1-2 inches of boiling water & that I could use a metal cookie cutter or something to keep it off the heat even more.

I attempted to do this and it did not work well at all! The pitcher would not stay still and kept moving around the pan. The pan was just slightly bigger around the the pitcher not hugely so.

In the videos I watched online the pitcher always stays still. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

Is it better to use an actual double boiler? If so what size would you suggest?

Also this is probably a dumb question lol but should I keep the thermometer in the pan the entire time? How far into the wax should it be?

And as it says to boil the water and then add my pitcher of wax and turn down the heat to a simmer, (can totally tell I am not a cook lol) what would that be number wise on my burner? lmao

lastly about how long does it take to get the wax to the right temperature?

Thanks so much

If it's moving around you've got too much water in the outer pan compared to how much wax you have in the pitcher. How much wax are you attempting to melt? The thing with the 'boiling' water is that it boils at 212 degrees (approx), so once it is boiling you do not need to keep the heat up for a 'rapid' boil - a slow simmering boil is just as effective. So, once it's boiling turn it down to a simmering boil - stoves and their numbers vary so you would have to experiment to find the right number for your stove. I always add my themometer once the wax in the pot has melted - and always have it in from there - you absolutely must monitor the tempurature of the wax because if it gets too hot you'll be in trouble. How long it takes depends on how much you are working with - how much are you attempting to melt?

I am very new so know that what I do make break every rule of what is supposed to be done because I am learning right along with you. That said, being new, I really appreciate getting answers, tips and suggestions so here goes.

I bought a double boiler insert. It was to fit my brand of pans but as it turns out, it fits okay but does not fit nor seat perfectly in as I pictured. Hoping to go later today and buy a cheap saucepan just for this application. I do not want to ruin my nice cookware on wax. Also hoping to get one that the insert is a better fit.

I also put in the thermometer once the wax is liquid. Once the wax reaches 175-180 (the type of wax should dictate this), I add FO. I remove the insert from the boiling water it was sitting on and sit it on another saucepan with no water and stir about 2 minutes or so and then pour once thermometer reads 150-155.

I bought some silicone molds for making melts/tarts, but have found the easiest application is to pour onto a cookie sheet and once cooled, break up into "brittle" type pieces and store in a polypro cello bag.

You may be making actual candles.

I first tried some materials from Michael's and Hobby Lobby. The wax was just okay and the FO's were awful. Now getting good quality wax and FO's from suppliers I learned about here (I have been reading and using search here for DAYS!) I am so pleased with the outcome. Since I am not crafty at all, I have a real sense of accomplishment. Oh! I also like that I can mix and match brittle to create scents I really want rather than settling for something close or just what a company has produced as my selection.

Cannot wait to hear how you do or more about what you are making!

Edited by justajesuschick