Bought surplus supplies, seller offered to "teach in 10 minutes how to make candles"

Here's a quick chuckle for the weekend.....

On our local CraigsList a chandler had decided to go out of business and listed all of her soy candle supplies, plus bath/body, for sale. In her listing, she had stated, "If you want to learn to make candles, I can teach you in 10 minutes how to make them."

My sister and I went, and did buy some fragrance oils, containers, and a case of wax she'd just purchased. It was a Golden Wax that I'd used before with success, but I was still mentally chuckling about the "teach you in 10 minutes" thing, so I asked her what she typically used as her top temp to melt. She had these plastic melting machines (that looked like what my nephew uses to make crayons with), and said she really didn't know what temp. She just loaded up the melters and when the wax melted, she dumped in a few tablespoons of fragrance and poured.

"There's really nothing to it. Anybody can make candles and sell them cheap. Just stick a wick in whatever jar you want, and you're done."

My sister laughed in a good-natured way and said to me, "Well, we've been doing it all wrong by monitoring temperatures and testing wicks with different containers and fragrance."

The lady didn't understand sarcasm. She waved her hand. "Oh, yeah. Complete waste of your time, girl." She was serious! "I hear some fools take years doing all that testing."

I guess she didn't realize we were some of those fools :) We didn't offer any debate points, paid for our items, and giggled a considerable bit on the drive home.

If it was so easy I wonder why she was getting out of the business? Maybe it just wasn't challenging enough. (Yes, that is sarcasm.)

For *some* odd reason, after her first order of 250 candles to a friend for a wedding, the "market for soy candles just bottomed out." I'm wondering if there was some reason for her to experience that? (Yes, also sarcasm! Bazinga :) )

totally scary, isn't it??

Yes, BEYOND scary. I know I lived on this board and a couple of others, gleaning information for about a month before we even purchased our first beginner kit from Peak. I'm sure it was six months after we'd tinkered and tested that we had anything we were willing to have family and friends test to offer their opinions.

Where did TEN MINUTES come from? She said that's how long it took her friend to show her the ropes and the amount of time it took to make the candles in her "class," then she went to Nature's Garden website and ordered a ton of supplies.