Fully recovered from search overload :)

New kid on the block, and there is soooo much to read out there! This forum has been awesome and I am excited to join. I almost spontaneously combusted from reading so much, I quickly became obsessed, but now I think I am ready :) A HUGE thank you to everyone on here offering a helping hand!

It is my understanding that there are many factors for the perfect candle (correct me if I'm wrong), like if the stars are aligned right, the color of my underwear, which side I woke up on, full moon or not.....etc ;)

I plan to start with tarts using soy and finding my bff from there. With that being said, I am courious if anyone has compared HT of GB 415 & 416. I know they are essentially the same and will try myself , but wanted to know if anyone would like to share their thoughts :) Again, you guys ROCK! Thank you for this forum! Placing my order this week!!! :)

I haven't tried 416 in years but wanted to mention 416 is a tart wax while 415 is a container wax. The melt point of 415 is 120ish (I think) and 416 is around 130.

I used to use 415 exclusively for my candles. Recently, I am re-working with it blended with paraffin. IMO, 415 has very good HT and isn't too bad to get wicked. I made a lot of tarts from 415 for home use from left over candle batch wax. The question you would want to ask yourself is if you feel 415 would make a tart you are comfortable selling to the public to serve as a double duty wax when you do begin to make container candles or if you would want to carry both 416 and 415....one for tarts and one for containers.

Hope that made sense and I didn't confuse you more. GL and have fun in your new venture....soon to be addiction. :)

Thanks for your input guys! I've read many use 415 for the tarts. I'm thinkin maybe I will add a lil 416 and see what that does, and then of course try a few other combos.

Jeanie, that makes perfect sense. I do have a feeling that will end up with both as I also plan to play arond with B&B as well. As far as selling, it's a thought but prob. would only be used for our charity walks since we do so many and I hate to ask people for $ all the time :)

I see a lot like to add the paraffin, does it really make that big of difference? For both scent and workablity?

I see a lot like to add the paraffin, does it really make that big of difference? For both scent and workablity?

There may be varying opinions but I do like what the addition of a little paraffin brings to soy. As Ravens mentioned, it can make a difference as far as smoothing out the tops, helping with frosting issues and also can help HT.

If you're not planning on selling, I think you would be fine with just 415 for tarts....add a little paraffin if you like. You might want to watch the MP of paraffin if you add it so your tarts aren't too soft or too hard. Too hard they may not melt good in your burner and too soft you will probably have to refrigerate them to get out of the tart molds (not really a problem) and might break up on you in the packaging if you stack them.

Oh yes, B&B too. They seem to go hand in hand often. And often I wonder why I began B&B to add another addiction to my existing addiction but am not quitting anytime soon.

Have fun :)

Oh, Duh! Forgot bout the smooth tops and frosting, lol see, I read too much :)

Jeanie, I'm in Gainesville, where is your friend's son located?

Just made my order :) - super big grin :) It's pretty sad, I'm obsessed and haven't even done anything yet :) Thanks again Jeanie and Ravens!

Oh, Duh! Forgot bout the smooth tops and frosting, lol see, I read too much :)

Jeanie, I'm in Gainesville, where is your friend's son located?

Just made my order :) - super big grin :) It's pretty sad, I'm obsessed and haven't even done anything yet :) Thanks again Jeanie and Ravens!

He is in the Navy living on a base, I believe. I'd have to ask again exactly what city but just wondering because I don't know too many people outside of this state.