Lifecycle of a paraffin container candle

Hi:

Just curious to find out what would be expected, and considered normal, at different stages of a quality candle's life (containers).

For example, from the postings I've seen, hang-up is okay on the second or third burn. Some people state that a dancing flame is normal after the half-way point. I'm getting wisps of smoke now and then when some of my test candles are near the end of their life. (No soot on the container though) Is this okay? I bought a bunch of a famous brand candles to do comparitive testing. I actually got a wisp of smoke on the first burn from one of the big boy's candles.

Also, unless it's against the TOS of the forum, if anyone knows a website where I can buy quality paraffin candles in a 12oz Status jar, can you PM me a link? I'd like to buy a few (no more than one from each site) to see how they burn.

Thanks

Neil

You will receive different opinions from just about everyone in here, but here is mine. Depending on the size of your container, hang up may occur for more than 2 or 3 burns. My hang ups usually are gone by about mid candle, but are never too sever from the start. If they were I would wick up. Dancing flames are fine. It is unlikely that many rooms are completely draft free. I also believe its more difficult for the flame to pull in air when the flame is deep within the container. As long as the flame is about 1/2 inch I do not get concerned with dancing. Smoke comes from scent. A heavily scented candle (like mine) will smoke a bit. Again, as long as the wick is properly trimmed (meaning using the proper burn time for the candle), then I am not concerned with some minor smoking.