Single pour wax (4636)???

I have made a few batches of container candles using my beginner's kit purchased from Lone Star. The kit comes with IGI 4636 which is described as a single pour wax. Every batch I've made so far has required a second pour to account for shrinkage. I melt the wax to 180° and then add color dye and FO. I remove the melting pot from the double boiler, stir the mixture for 3 minutes, and pour the candles. I've also tried to cool the wax to 150° before pouring with the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

It is a low shrink wax, and in most applications should only need one pour. What type of issue are you having? As in, ripples on the top, an actual shrink hole, or?? What type of container are you pouring into? Do you have a pic? Someone may be able to help on what's going on if we can see - or know more...

As ksranch said, it is a low shrinkage wax. I have not worked with it but I have with 6006 and it too is a low shrinkage wax. I didn't like how it set up but a heat gun fixes the top fairly easily. Posting a photo of the problem might give us some clues too. The size of the container may come into play too as to how fast or slow it cools (from edge to center).

The containers are 6.5oz classic jars from Lone Star. Sorry I don't have a photo but the shrinkage happens from the outer edge to the wick. The level of the candle is about 1/8 inch lower at the wick than at the edge. A second pour tops them off and they look good but I wonder why this is happening.

I would try warming your jars in the oven at 170 and pour at 160. If that doesn't do it, pour at 170. Let them room cool slowly out of a draft. I've had to pour hotter than recomended, to get flat tops with 4630 and I think it's the altitude.

Edited by Paul