My ugly CPHP soaps

donna4909

I hate making soap. :mad: I've got to be doing something wrong, because every batch comes out all cracked and crumbly looking. It's not lye heavy though. I tongue tested them, and didn't get zapped. The bars are also soft with an oily feeling.

My first soap, scented Fruit Slices (technically not first, but my first batch didn't even turn into soap, so...)

fruitslicessoap.jpg

Berries & Buttercream - The FO did a number on this one. It was supposed to have purple swirls, but when I added FO to the crockpot, it turned orange. The when I added my purple dye, it changed to green. And now as it's dried a little bit, it's gone brownish. :(

berriesbuttercreamsoap.jpg

Sorry about your soaps. That's a real disappointment when you've invested time, effort, and money!

Why don't you try CP as cindym suggested? So far it's the only method I've used except for one batch that riced instantly when the FO hit the pot (only time out of 25 batches or so), and I was able to save that batch with a lot of stirring, coking, time in the oven for the particles to remelt completely, and re-cooking! :tongue2: Using heat in soapmaking is not my thing.

When CP works it's a wonderful method that yields smooth soaps. Don't give up on soap making until you give it a whirl!

Maybe it's just my ingredients? Everything I have came from Wal-Mart, so it's not like I have the best. I need some more hard oils, but I don't have the money to order online right now. Shipping is killer... :undecided Maybe I'll get some lard when I go back to walmart.

The first batch was:

35% crisco

15% coconut oil

20% soybean oil

20% canola oil

10% safflower oil

And the second was:

35% crisco

15% coconut oil

30% olive oil

20% soybean oil

First batch was a 1 lb. recipe, second was a 2 lb. recipe. I think I'll rebatch the second. It's really ugly...