Possibly a silly Q about curing

This is possibly one of "those" type questions (you know, the ones that scream "No idea what she is doing!!") but is curing needed for the wax, or just the fragrance part of the candle?

I'm having a little play around making my first pillar today with ecosoya PB, but no fragrance. Do the candles still need to cure, or is that unnecessary when it's unscented?

Feel free to laugh at me, just do it quietly please :laugh2:

Not a silly question at all. Curing is mainly to allow the FO to completely "marry" with the wax; however, the crystals in candle wax continue to harden over several days. I never test ANY veggie wax candle (regardless of FO or dye content) before 48 hours. I prefer to wait 5 days for best results. HTH : )

Funny you should say that. It's getting ridiculously hot here and I've taken to doing all my testing at night in the study when I don't have to sit directly in front of a fan, or have the air con going. Of course when I'm sitting here at my computer reading away or watching a movie while watching a candle reveal my latest mistake, a glass (or 2) of wine goes down a treat.

My other half likes to poke fun at me saying that testing a candle is my excuse for solitary drinking, despite the fact that he sticks his head in every 20 mins to ask if I need a top up.

I've found it a fantastic way to wind down after a long day. And when my testing isn't going well, it helps to have a wine with my whine.

As frustrating as it can be sometimes, we all go through it and deal with it in our own way....LOL. Personally I find coffee calms me while test burning, or I will test on days when I am working from home so I can get a couple of burns in through the day. Whenever I ask Tracy to light the testers if I happen to be in the office for the day, she will either forget to light ot forget to extinguish at the appropriate time....such is life.

I like Stella like to let mine sit for at least a week if able prior to testing. I still have some scents that like 2 weeks + after pouring to throw well, but only a couple like that. As Stella also said the was will get harder over time, particularly palm waxes, and as that can also make a difference to the burn it is recommended to wait. Soy I will test after 48 hours, but palm I always wait at least a week to make sure my burn is good.

Main thing to remember is to have fun and enjoy it, take plenty of great and detailed notes and you will learn from your mistakes :)

Cheers

Richard