beginner with problem...funny looking candle top after burning

I just recently started with soy candles. The orginal pour and all seems to go well. I don't seem to have a problem with frosting and the tops all look nice to begin with. After I burn the candle the wax resets with a very mottled, cottage cheesy look to the top. I suspect that I'm using too much FO in the wax? I don't use any additives and I use about 1 1/2 oz per lb of wax. From what I've seen on this forum, that may be a bit much? Could that be causing my issue or do I have other problems? Thanks!

I'm new to this too but FYI, I burned my first 3 testers last night and the one with the biggest wick -- which was way too big and produced way too much flame and melt pool -- had mottled when it cooled, it looks a little cottage cheesy. The other two testers cooled flat.

Hey Stephanie.

For us to help you we need to know all about your candle. What wax, wick type/size, how much FO you used and what kind, kind of dye & amount, what temp you melted the wax to, what temp you added your FO and what temp you poured. How did you cool your candles., etc. We need the inside diameter & height of your container.

Laurie, i hope you will start your own thread with photos of your candles so we can help you with the issues you face. Remember to give us ALL THE INFORMATION about your candles.

PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME WE KNOW ANY OF THIS (or that we remember from the last time you made a candle!) Photos are a great help!

I'd love to offer suggestions but y'all have given me nearly zero to go on.

Edited by Stella1952