primed my own LX what did I do wrong

Hi :smiley2:all I have been using LX 10 wicks for votives and realized it is much cheaper to buy by the spool. So I did and primed them in the 4974 wax that I am using for my votives. Well I was so disappointed because they do not burn nearly as nice as the ones I buy already primed. Can anybody give me any pointers as to why or what I may have done wrong. Is it because I am using the wrong wax to prime them in? I read that the ones you buy are primed in a higher melt temp. wax does this make the difference? The flames flickers and I get mushrooms that I did not get using the ones already done. I know a lot of you prime your own and was hoping somebody could help me out.:sad2:

I buy preprimed wicking for the very reason you are experiencing. It SEEMS more cost effective to do this oneself, but that's false economy, unless you are cranking out thousands of candles per month. The distributors have the equipment and priming waxes to accomplish this far less expensively, efficiently and consistently than I can at home. I'm delighted to pay them to do this for me. HTH : )

Sorry - I didn't answer your question, though, because you are "stuck" with a spool of raw wicking. Check the wick wax used at WickIt & Wicks Unlimited and order some if you want to continue priming your own. Eric has been playing with priming his own (there's a thread recently where he talked about this a lot) and has some techniques that have been successful for him. HTH