New Jar...CBL 130 Wicking Advice?

So midstream, I decided I'd use a different apothecary jar. I know...I know..bad move.

They are from CS and not only do I really like them but they are much less expensive than the ones I was using.

The ones I was using were 16oz apothecary but did not reach the dreaded 4" size (they were about 3 1/2 - 3 3/8).

So I'm all set to go up one wick size and move along with some quick testing and on to production. Wrong! I went up one size in my normal wicks (Eco) and it isn't working. They are tunneling. Went up 2 sizes and have too fast a burn.

Wait...I need to explain further.....On regular scents maxed out, that are not super concentrated, I can go up the one size and they are perfect. It is on my super concentrates I am having troubles.

Is there anyone who uses CBL130 with 4" apothecary jars who would like to give up their wicking secret? I've tried LX...cannot get a full MP without torches, HTP won't give a decent ST so I pulled those out b4 finding out if they would give a full MP, RRD won't single wick without torching either.

I have a CD 20 in one now to see how that does. I thought on para/soy blends we wouldn't have to double wick even with the super concentrates. I may have to go back to the other jars if I can't figure this out soon and time is a wasting with Fall here.

TIA

Jeanne

There's no secret - it's called trial and error - test, test, test.

4" jars are problematic because they stand at the threshold of using multiple wicks. I don't use your wax, but I would certainly try the CD 20 as a start, but, unless your wax is blended with paraffin, I think you may need a larger wick size if you intend to single wick. I use a CDN 22 in NatureWax C3 if that is any point of comparison.

Edited by Stella1952

It is a para/soy blend with what I think is more paraffin than soy. The supplier doesn't give the ratios but it is pretty obvious it burns more like paraffin but looks more like soy just not as much of a deep creamy look. That is why I thought I'd only be going up one wick size. If I was dealing with soy I'd have to double wick. I did have pretty good luck on one test with a 60c but it was a tad too big. I don't have a 51c. The CD 20 didn't work out...very little throw. I may have gotten a full mp but the throw was lacking compared to some others so I pulled it fairly early.

I only have a CDN 14 here but a bunch of CSN's I hadn't thought of trying. Dbl wicking with RRD 34 was way too much. My RRD 29's are short little guys so that is out. I'm thinking of trying a zinc even tho' I am not fond of those...jmo...I know others love them.

I am beginning to think this has to do with the fragrance oil more than the jar...possibly only b/c of the wax type being more paraffin. It is a super concentrate and those always cause me to wick up from regular scents. Just may be it is such a wicker-upper that it is going to wick as a soy.

Thanks Stella...I know to just keep going by trial and error but thought I'd toss it up on a post just to see if anyone wanted to share any thoughts. Test, test, test...I will be doing until I get it. I'm going to try a 44c to see if it gets sorta near the 1" per hour thing and if so then I'll order some 51c's. The throw isn't too bad at all on the cotton wicks...enough that is worth purchasing them if seems they may work. I also have some flat braid wicks here I may be forced to try. Never used them...don't even know why I have them actually.

Have a nice week :)

Edited by jeanie353