I did it!!

Oceangazer1

I made my first batch of CP soap!! It's in bed right now!! I hope it turns out okay as it traced Very quickly on me so I had to hurry because I wanted to do a two color swirl. lol. I don't take things simply.:embarasse I used a rubber maid pitcher for the lye water and mixed it in the garage with fans and didn't get one whiff of fumes. whew. I was ready with my goggles, gloves and full apron. :cool2: I will post a picture in the gallery. :grin2:

The saponification process is exothermic... it creates heat. The mold will get warm unless you take steps to prevent it (ie. putting it in the refrigerator or freezer, removing insulation, placing it in front of a fan.) How warm or hot depends on which oils you use and what you used for fragrance. Also depends on the temperature of your oils/lye when mixed and how thick the trace was when poured into the mold. Warm is good... means it is saponifying. HOT may not be good. Over heated soap can separate and you either will get a layer of liquid top or bottom outside the soap or you can get pockets of liquid inside the soap (tiny or large.) If you see a volcano in the middle of the soap, basically an area that comes up like a peak, then it got warm/hot. Not so warm as to necessarily ruin the soap, but warm enough to give you a peak.

Take a peek. If it looks like it gelled all the way to the corners, remove the insulation, even the lid if you like. Let it cool and then cut. I usually keep my soap insulated, even on a heating pad, until it gels to the corners. Then I remove the insulation, turn off the heating pad and let cool. By letting it gel to the corners I know that it has fully saponified and I won't get two toned soap. You don't have to gel, it's not necessary, just my preference.

Edited to say: If I was rambling, sorry, I have a fever and the meds haven't kicked in yet.

Edited by MissMori

The saponification process is exothermic... it creates heat. The mold will get warm unless you take steps to prevent it (ie. putting it in the refrigerator or freezer, removing insulation, placing it in front of a fan.) How warm or hot depends on which oils you use and what you used for fragrance. Also depends on the temperature of your oils/lye when mixed and how thick the trace was when poured into the mold. Warm is good... means it is saponifying. HOT may not be good. Over heated soap can separate and you either will get a layer of liquid top or bottom outside the soap or you can get pockets of liquid inside the soap (tiny or large.) If you see a volcano in the middle of the soap, basically an area that comes up like a peak, then it got warm/hot. Not so warm as to necessarily ruin the soap, but warm enough to give you a peak.

Take a peek. If it looks like it gelled all the way to the corners, remove the insulation, even the lid if you like. Let it cool and then cut. I usually keep my soap insulated, even on a heating pad, until it gels to the corners. Then I remove the insulation, turn off the heating pad and let cool. By letting it gel to the corners I know that it has fully saponified and I won't get two toned soap. You don't have to gel, it's not necessary, just my preference.

Edited to say: If I was rambling, sorry, I have a fever and the meds haven't kicked in yet.

Thank you so much for your help! I will be posting a couple of more pictures in the gallery thread. I did take it inside and away from the comforter. It still has the lid on and towel. I'm not sure if it's ready to keep the lid off, LOL. So new at this. :) I hope you feel better soon!

Gel looks kinda like Vasoline. It has a transparent quality to it. Go ahead, you can peek. If it's gelled all the way to the corners, you can take off the towel. If the corners look creamy and the middle looks like Vasoline, it hasn't gelled all the way to the corners. Nothing wrong with the soap. You will see a difference in color, where it gelled and didn't gel. If you want it to gel all the way to the corners, put the towel back on and even the comforter.

I like to gel my soaps, it's just my preference. I also like to cool slowly. When I get a complete gel, I take off the insulation and turn off the heating pad (if used.) I keep the soap covered to hold in some of the heat.

Gel looks kinda like Vasoline. It has a transparent quality to it. Go ahead, you can peek. If it's gelled all the way to the corners, you can take off the towel. If the corners look creamy and the middle looks like Vasoline, it hasn't gelled all the way to the corners. Nothing wrong with the soap. You will see a difference in color, where it gelled and didn't gel. If you want it to gel all the way to the corners, put the towel back on and even the comforter.

I like to gel my soaps, it's just my preference. I also like to cool slowly. When I get a complete gel, I take off the insulation and turn off the heating pad (if used.) I keep the soap covered to hold in some of the heat.

I peaked Again and it's getting dry spots on it on the top...I have no idea what's going on. lol

Dry spots? Hmm... I'll have to think about that one. It will be warm and soft for a few hours or even until tomorrow. Depends on several things... how warm it got, ambient temperature, oils used, how complete saponification was/is ...

It shouldn't burn, as in chemical burn, and shouldn't have been hot enough to give you a burn otherwise.