wick down to ??

ECO8 wick...should I go to a ECO2

I don't know the interior diameter of the 16 oz. mason you are using, but to go from an 8 to a 2 seems like a pretty big jump... especially since there's a 6 & 4 between...My suggestion would be to make two testers, one with a 6 and the other with a 4 and see how those test out...

I'm using a similar diameter jar that has paraffin in it and is burning pretty well with an ECO 6. It really depends a lot on the wax. I use the 2's a lot and they seem to create a pretty large melt pool in tureens with a not so creamy wax, but with a creamy wax, I need larger.

What wax are you using?

16 oz mason jar

A 16 oz mason jar be it Ball, Kerr or whatever has a diameter of 3" +/- .1"

has burned about 24 hours over 3 days.
How long are you burning it each time? It makes a big difference if you are doing 4 hour test burns which is the correct way or if you are doing 8 hour burns. I don't think an ECO 8 is too large. I use that with my parasoy blend in that jar. What wax exactly are you using? Edited by IwantItgreen

A 16 oz mason jar be it Ball, Kerr or whatever has a diameter of 3" +/- .1"
jar is 2 3/4 wide

IWIG, that is the size of the wide mouth canning jar. There is a standard mouth canning jar whose diameter is smaller. One has to be careful about common terminology because what one person calls a "mason" is another person's JJ...

Putter, test burn your candle for 1 hour per inch of diameter. As I said before, what I would do is make a tester in size 4 & 6 and burn them all the way to the end in 3 hour intervals. See which one gives you the best HT for the least amount of soot & heat, particularly during the last half of the container.