Loaf candles

I got these tiny aluminum loaf pans that I'd like to make grubby candles out of. My question is what is the proper way to measure these for wicks. Length wise? or Width?

And another question how do you curl the wick? Is there a trick to that?

TIA :)

Thanks ladies for the help! :)

Another question: Would container wax or pillar wax work better for these?

It depends if you are making pillars - out of the pan - or containers in the pan. I have ceramic loaf pans that I make container candles in (using container wax). Since they are about 3 x 6 I treat them as (2) 3 x 3 candles and wick appropriately. I made a paper template so I can get the wicks in the correct spot each time.

As for the curling wicks, I'm personally against them for the reason stated - people won't trim. But I think you need a zinc core wick to actually hold the curl.

I don't "curl" wicks - I twist them. If the wick is securely attached to the container, you simply twist a few revolutions and secure the wick while pouring. I you are talking about decorative curling, absolutely not. The only time I can count on a wick being trimmed to the proper length is when I sell it. I'm not going to miss that opportunity.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about a curled wick. I'd have to put on a bright red label on it reminding the customer to cut the wick to 1/4" before lighting it. And even then I'm sure there will be those who "can't read directions" ... and we all know there are customers like that. :P

Edited by PAgirl89