Powder Dyes

I've been searching for a new candle dye to use in my candles. I used to buy my dye from AtWixEnd and it was VERY concentrated, but they are now out of business :-( I have purchased some EVO dye from candle wic and it's really good for lighter shades, but I can't get the darker colors I got before without using almost twice as much as I used before. So, I would like to experiment with some powder dyes maybe? Anyone have any suggestions for a good supplier? Or maybe just the Pros and Cons of using a powder dye? I found CC Candle Supply which carries them, but after a search on the site it seems they have very poor customer service... Thanks for the help!

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that no one added to this thread and since we use powered dye I thought I'd make a contribution.

Pylam powdered dyes are excellent. We've been using them for many years now. Here's the link to their web site. pylam Give them a call and ask about samples..I think they are free of charge.

Pros. Colors are amazingly vibrant even in soy. No odor, color consistency.

Cons. The up front cost for..say 5 pounds of dye might make you swallow your tongue, but the investment is worth it in the long run. Some colors have residue issues. Getting the dye to incorporate can be troublesome. There are ways around this.

Use long gloves and don't wear anything that you would want to wear in public. Use a shower cap to cover your hair. Use a painters mask.

You need to protect yourself, powered dye is so fine the particles are nearly invisible, You won't notice until later that your hair has a green tint to it and that your skin pores are now dotted with pink. (personal experience) If you value your lungs you will wear a mask. You may not be able to smell it or see it but it's there and you are breathing it in to your lungs.

Read the MSDS that are sent with the dye.

A gram scale is necessary. You may want to think about using the dye to make your own dye chips. This helps with batch color consistency. We use a base to add the dye to and pour in to metal divider trays.

I don't know anything about CC Candle Supply but if you feel the customer service isn't what it should be, then staying clear of them may be the best thing to do. When you're working with something new, a good customer support can be most helpful.