Clarus 3022

I've been using that wax for about 4 years or so. I don't add anything to it and get a great mp using cd wicks. That wax is 70% soy and 30% paraffin and probably has coconut in the blend as well. I wouldn't think a zinc could handle the soy but different things work for different folks. I use a cd 18 in a large diameter jar but am currently using a cd16 in a differently configured container. It gives me about a 1/2 inch mp and throws great at 6% fo load. The 3020 is 70% paraffin and 30% soy and that would work for a zinc IMHO it is Clarus' version of 6006. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Yikers Nj, Steve is right. I always confuse the two waxes from Clarus! My coconut oil mix was done with the 3020 blend, not the 3022. They had made a new blend called 3033, based on their 3020 to which they added 8-10% CO. When I finally got around to testing it I really liked it and called to order more but they had sold it all with no plans to make more. I was a day late and a dollar short as I often am. Anyway, blended up my own with their 3020. Sorry for the wonky advice and the mix up of numbers:(

For real? I've got a case of 3020 that has been lurking around my shop for a couple of years (mice love to eat wax). So if I add 8 to 10% coconut oil it will make that 3033? Tell me more!

Steve

Kind of a long story Steve, but here goes. Last January you and I and a couple other members were chatting about the confusion with the Clarus waxes...don't know if you remember and I can't find the thread in search since the board crashed.

I had just gotten a sample of the 3033 parasoy/coconut oil blend and was going to test and report back. Ended up taking a long break from candle making. About a month ago I finally pulled out the 3033 and poured it up and wowsa, what a pretty wax and absolutely no, and I mean NO wet spots. I even set the jars directly in front of my air conditioning vents for weeks and still none. I was also getting a perfect pool (diameter and depth) in my 3" tumbler which is the bain of my existence. I had really liked the throw from the 3020, but dang the jars looked like the surface of the moon...adhesion was terrible. I was still testing for hot throw and only tested zincs with one fragrance so can't report much about the throw. The FO was either a dud in the wax, or the wax doesn't throw ha!

Anyway liked it sooooo much that I called Brad at Clarus to order some more and he told me that they had sold it all off...apparently because the CO lowered the melt point to the mid to low 120's (he wasn't specific) that it wasn't doing too well in the heat of the warehouse. He said they had no plans to make more. They had originally manufactured it for a client who ended up not taking it.

Bummed I chatted a bit with him about it. He told me they had started with the 3020 wax and added from 5 to 10% coconut oil. Once again not specific on the percentages and didn't tell me if they added anything else to the blend. So I though, what the heck, I have coconut oil and 3020...let's play. I tried 8 and 10% and got a blend that looked and burned just like the 3033...super creamy, perfect burn and no wetspots. I even put one in the fridge and nada. So that is the saga. I haven't played with it in a couple of weeks since I am testing 6006 and glass glow palm and want to try those without having to blend.

Edited by ah-soy