soft batch

moon01945

Hi! I made some batches over the weekend and I did some swirling. Finally I have a recipe that is letting me swirl with out clumping up to fast!

But now it seems like it is taking forever to set up. i could totally be just impatient and used to batches hardening right up on me too fast. I did a batch with Australian Bamboo I took it to a light trace and it has been setting up for about a day and half and it is semi hard to the touch but not enough to cut.

My recipe:

20% Almond

35 % olive

30 % coconut oil

5 % castor

10 % sfflower - High olic

water 30.4

lye - 11.412

all run through soap calc.

Yes, this has happened to me. I have a base recipe that I use again and again. It behaves differently depending on the temperature at which I soap, weather, additives (especially fo's,) and even whether I hand stirred or used a stick blender. Soap making is a new adventure every day. I like to gel my soaps to make them get harder faster. If you used the same formula that you used on a previous occasion with satisfactory results, but it didn't turn out the same this time, do not throw it away. Let it cure, take notes and see what happens. If possible, review what you did to make sure you weighed everything accurately.

You could try adding a bit of cocoa butter or shea butter, that will help harden up your soap. Or even 2% to 5% beeswax. Other than that, reduce the amount of water. Be aware that reducing the water too much can cause other problems. Just an FYI, the 38% water ratio is in relation to the amount of oils (weight) that you are using. As you progress in soap making, it may be beneficial to start calculating the amount of water in relation to the amount of NaOH and NOT base water on oil weight. Take notes on your experiments, recording every detail and allow the soap to cure for a good long time. The qualities of the soap will change over time.