Bubble Bath Drops

PAgirl89

I got the recipe from Ponte Vedra website

1 cup cream of tartar

1 cup baking soda

1/4 cup SLSA

1/3 cup liquid glycerin

FO and dye to suit your preference

Now, I didn't have enough tartar to make a full cup, the jar I had gave me about 1/4 cup. So I used a 1/4 cup of tartar and a 1/4 cup of baking soda. I also cut back on the SLSA and the liquid glycerin.

The recipe is suppose to make 18oz but since I couldn't make the full recipe, it was only enough to fill a muffin cavity in my silicone mold.

I left it sit for about an hour, as per instructions with the recipe. I checked on it and it is puffed up like a cream puff! It's as soft as it was when I spooned it into the mold.

Is it suppose to puff up and be soft? I guess I was expecting it to be hard like soap.

It won't be hard like soap. They are like an inflated bath bomb (with squish), but let it sit a while longer and see what you think of it.

That's a good description of it! LOL It's squishy. I was going to cut it and package it in a cello bag, but with it being squishy, I'm rethinking the packaging. I'm going to let it set overnight and see how it turns out tomorrow morning. Thanks Scented!

Okay I let them set over night in the molds and this is what I got this morning. They're still very squishy.

post-12619-139458482468_thumb.jpg

Not sure I did them right, I can't unmold them without them losing their shape. They're not crumbly, just squishy.

post-12619-139458482213_thumb.jpg

woohoo! I think I finally got it right! I used a different recipe and used corn starch instead of the cream of tartar, but I think I got it. I didn't use molds this time, just rolled the mixture with my hands and made 14 small sized balls and put them in aluminum cake pans. I'll let them sit till tomorrow but I think this time I got it right! The SLSA is a must with the recipe, without it, it makes no bubbles. The corn starch doesn't seem to make a difference, other than it's cheaper to buy than cream of tartar!

Edited by PAgirl89

Tried another recipe and I think it will work better than the 2nd one I tried. The first recipe made them too squishy, the second recipe I think makes hard like a bath bomb, a bit crumbly, and the 3rd recipe I tried seems to be somewhere in the middle. LOL

1 cup baking soda

1 cup sodium laurel sulfoacetate

1 tablespoon cream of tartar

liquid glycerin as needed

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/bubblebath/

Now I didn't have enough SLSA to make the cup it asks for, I only added 1/4 cup of SLSA. I also used about 1/2 cup of liquid glycerin.

The second recipe I didn't use cream of tartar, I used corn starch instead, which is probably why it's drying hard like a bath bomb. But the consistency of bubbles between the two recipes seems to be about the same.

the cream of tartar is what gives the bubbles lasting power...in theory.

Yeah I noticed that too. The drops with the tartar had bubbles lasting more than an hour, in the drops without the tartar maybe half as long.