Banging my head against the wall!

Hi all,

This is a mini rant and help request rolled into one. I sell soy candles & B&B. My partner makes the candles and I make everything else.

Everything moves fine for us except for our glass container candles. I think it's because we leave them natural & don't use color. I don't particularly mind them natural, but I think people prefer them with color.

I'm trying to get my partner to make a swirled candle & it's like pulling teeth. She keeps swearing it's not going to look right melting...So, I bought one from somewhere else to prove to her it looks fine. It's actually a beautiful candle.

She gave in and has been trying to make it all weekend, but it's just not turning out. I've given her the directions I found - 1st link http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1082318659 and 2nd link

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?51255-Directions-For-Swirl-Pillar

and she swears they are not working for her. I also downloaded an e-book for directions and here's a copy of those...1. Follow the steps above to make a container candle.

2. Pour about an ounce of melted wax into aluminum or stainless steel can. Add a

teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil per pound of wax as this will strengthen your

fragrance oil. Add dye and stir well.

3. Take your remaining scented, dye-free wax and pour into the 8 oz. travel tin—do

not fill completely.

4. Slowly pour a little of your colored wax into your tin. Using a toothpick or

wooden skewer, gently create swirls.

Oh, I've also showed her the video about using a wick pin down the sides with a heat gun.

The wax we use is GB444 and is going in a 12oz Libby Status jar.

Have any of you had these problems with making swirls or marble effect? Any suggestions on what else to try? Part of me says she just really doesn't want to do it and is making excuses, but I don't want to believe that....

Thanks for your help :)

I'm a tart maker, not candle maker so can't help with instruction. Maybe take a baby step and just use a color for a candle, rather than natural, that matches the scent. After a while, your partner might get braver and try the swirls. Are you sure it's not the price? I think many do natural color container candles and still do well. A striking label really helps on a natural label, too.

No, it's definitely not the price (at least I don't think so, lol) my 12oz is $10.99 and my 21 oz is $15.99...much less than you can buy at the store for soy candles. I've been taking a poll of my repeat customers and they say they would love a swirled candle, that they're 1st instinct when they see a natural candle is that it is unscented.

It just doesn't make any sense to me - as far as sales go that someone would prefer an 8oz tin to a nice glass container. My tins sell, gosh, maybe 5-1 over the glass. I really think that swirling them would put it over the top. Make them like eye candy ya know?

Maybe I should try swirling them myself and see how it turns out...can't mess it up too much, right? lol

Yep... put your money where your mouth is, roll up those sleeves & get swirling =)

Here's a thing I've noticed... when I feel "obligated" to make candles (like I HAVE to get a certain type/ colour made up for whatever reason), they don't turn out as well as those I've put my heart & soul into. It's a bit like cooking! You can really see/ taste the good results when you've enjoyed making the meal. Seriously!

Take the pressure off her, start making them yourself... iron out any glitches & get em where you want em & she might come round.

Nothing worse than having to do something that's just not your thing!

Good Luck =)