Cargill NatureWax V-1

Hi there....this is actually the first time I've posted in this particular section of the board. I have never used soy wax, but was a bit intrigued when reading about this Cargill NatureWax V-1. I'd love to try using soy wax for votives just to test it out.

Has anyone here used the V-1 for votives, and do any companies sell "sampler" sizes? Also, it claimes to be a one-pour wax, though I tried the IGI 4761 one-pour votive wax and didn't like how it 'behaved'. It still shrunk enough to require a second pour.

Thank you for any input.

By the way, soy wax is water-soluble, right? I have heard it is a breeze to clean up because of this. That alone might be worth paying a bit more for the soy wax. ;) And because it comes in flakes I wouldn't have to smash a huge slab of parrafin with a hammer :)

Welcome to the veggie section, LOL! Have never used the Cargill votive wax myself, I use the KY votive/pillar blend. Some of them come close to being one pour. Most of them when they set up, have a dip in the middle that you either have to heatgun or do a slight repour, to get your flat tops on your votives. Soy is water soluble, a little hot soapy water cleans it up, but don't get it in your plumbing, you'll have a mess. Most suppliers sell sample bags of the waxes they sell, for you test with. You just need to find the closest supplier to you that sells the wax you are interested in and check their site. The wax you are talking about and most soy waxes do come in flakes, which makes it pretty easy to measure, no busting of slabs. The KY is fairly close to you in Tennessee and it is a very good votive and pillar wax. If you want to check it out, it is www.kycandlewaxsupply.com

Thanks, Kerry. There is also something called Tennessee Candle Supplies, which is about 3+ hours from here. I wish I could sample something from everyone, but there's generally a minimum shipping charge. I don't want to pay $6 shipping for a 3-lb bag of soy wax that only costs $3. :tongue2:

Unless I increase my order, though, is there really any other alternative?

:grin2:

You might want to look into the new votive/pillar blend that is being talked about on this board. Jason is in KY. There is a list on one of the posts as to who is carrying this wax currently. I have been testing it and really like it. :yay: It's called GW423. There is a thread here on it.

They say these waxes are one-pour "if used properly", whatever that means. Nice way to cover themselves if it doesn't work right. They can always tell us that we didn't use the wax correctly and that we must be doing something wrong :wink2:

Most of the votive waxes you will either have to heatgun or do a slight repour. If you don't mind the slight dip in the middle, I suppose you could call it a one pour and leave it as is. I am going to play with the G423 some today and see how it does. Only thing with this wax is that is is so new, you never know who will carry it. So if you end up liking it and you can't get it close to you, you will have to pay more for shipping. I would say if shipping costs are a concern, get whatever is closest to you and try it out. I have been through many soy waxes from different suppliers, and ended up settling on one that I have to have shipped in (even though I live by Lonestar). Just because it works the best for me. You will probably want to try a couple to see what you like the best.

Thanks, Kerry. There is also something called Tennessee Candle Supplies, which is about 3+ hours from here. I wish I could sample something from everyone, but there's generally a minimum shipping charge. I don't want to pay $6 shipping for a 3-lb bag of soy wax that only costs $3. :tongue2:

Unless I increase my order, though, is there really any other alternative?

:grin2:

I kept getting air pockets with a one pour. Now I fill until just before the cup starts to widen near the top, poke relief holes after about 20-30 mins and repour. :grin2: