What is the technique to creating a cake "frosting" look to top off a tart?

AlwaysWondering

Do you let the melted wax get slushy? And then do you scoop it out just like real frosting? I tried this today and it was a huge messy failure. Maybe it needs to be even more thick. Mine just dripped everywhere. If you know of any youtube videos, etc., would appreciate it.

My other thought is that it is an actual mold and one color is poured into the bottom (frosting) and the other color (cake part) is poured in cake color. Is that it?

I've never used this kind of mold. If that is the answer, what are some good mold sources.

Thanks!

You have to whip the wax let wax cool but not slushy and start whipping with a wire whisk till the consisantcy that you need then apply to your tart

Really? Never would have thought of that in a millions years. Let me make sure I understand. Let the wax cool but not to slushy stage. Then just start whipping as though I was whipping eggs to make scrambled eggs? Do you have any idea how long this might take? Do I whip half a cup at a time? A cup at a time?

Amazing.

I have been actually using an electric mixer with mine lol Just one of the beaters though. I start when it gets a film over it and start mixing until it's the consistency that I like. Trial and error.. I've had to reheat a few times :)

its a PITA, but yeah- electric beater worked best for me because im a weakling and hand beating took awhile. So I let my wax slightly cool, just a little film on top, and then whip away! I found it helps to keep the pour pot in a warm (not hot) water bath. Helps it cool slower. you have to work SO fast once its at the right temp, that I've found its more work than its worth, lol!! I kinda wonder about making silicone molds of meringue or royal frosting, and just using those in the future instead of piping. Not as creative but less work and more consistent.

its a PITA, but yeah- electric beater worked best for me because im a weakling and hand beating took awhile. So I let my wax slightly cool, just a little film on top, and then whip away! I found it helps to keep the pour pot in a warm (not hot) water bath. Helps it cool slower. you have to work SO fast once its at the right temp, that I've found its more work than its worth, lol!! I kinda wonder about making silicone molds of meringue or royal frosting, and just using those in the future instead of piping. Not as creative but less work and more consistent.

lol, I have silicone coming in the mail right now cause I give up on this mess. It's way to much work getting the wax to the perfect temp. and I usually can only get two done and it starts clumping and ugh what a mess.... I'm thinking of just making mine out of icing and molding them. Told hubby to get ready for this disaster haha

I let the wax cool down until I can spoon it out of the pot, it's warm to the touch. Usually there is still a little melted wax underneath and I add a little bit into the pouring pot to give it moisture. I add scent and whip it with a wisk until fluffy. The liquid scent gives it more moisture to make it fluffy and not crumbly. I use a spoon and dollop it onto the cupcake. I normally don't mess with it once it's on top of the cupcake.

It's really trial and error until you get the consistency you want. I like my frosting to look like bakery swirly frosting and not lumpy like a grubby candle.

post-12619-139458480667_thumb.jpg

The first one wasn't as slushy as the second one. The first cupcake I packed on the wax with a spoon, the second cupcake I used a spoon and dropped on the melted wax like dollops.

post-12619-139458480311_thumb.jpg