What makes a candle fragrance candle safe?

A friend of mine asked me if the oils that she has to put in oil burners would be safe in a candle? I don't know the answer to that and thought I would put that out here to see if anyone knew. I always use "candle fragrances" and products specifically for candles in my candles, so I am not sure what is considered safe that isn't marketed as a candle product.

I don't want to make a product that is highly flammable and going to explode or anything along those lines!

• 1 month later...
A friend of mine asked me if the oils that she has to put in oil burners would be safe in a candle? I don't know the answer to that and thought I would put that out here to see if anyone knew. I always use "candle fragrances" and products specifically for candles in my candles, so I am not sure what is considered safe that isn't marketed as a candle product.

I don't want to make a product that is highly flammable and going to explode or anything along those lines!

Well, as long as candles burn then nothing is totally safe about them. I believe there are "safer" kinds of containers you can get, but a couple weeks ago my best friend showed me a type of candles that are flameless and wickless. You can check them out at www.safecandle.net. My friend still makes candles, but she loves the safe aspect of them.

I had a supplier once give me the wrong 'grade' of oils as she put it. The incorporated fine in B&B and she swore to me that they were fine in B&B (we did use some in some soap and lotions without a problem) but whatever was in them was a disaster whenever we tried to make a candle. We'd end up with this somewhat slimy bottom that never fully incorporated. When I wrote to her and told her what the problem was she told me she must've accidentally sent me the wrong grade of oil and that what I had was fine in B&B but unusable in candles. I never bothered pressing her further about it since she replaced all the FO's and the B&B stuff we made we kept just for us in case there was a problem down the line with it but there are FO's that will not work in candles.