New to CP... Please look at my recipe...

dorothybooth

Ok, so I want to use the stash of frozen breastmilk that I have had sitting in my freezer for almost a year. My son is turning one and will not drink from a cup or bottle and the milk is reaching it's end date. A friend suggested making soap with it.

Here is my recipe and the stats from soapcalc.net:

10 oz Crisco w/palm (11%)

16 oz Safflower oil (17%)

8 oz Olive oil (9%)

31.5 oz Coconut oil (35%)

25.5 oz GV Shortening (28%)

34 oz Breastmilk

13 oz Lye

4.5 oz Fragrance

According to soapcalc:

48 Hardness, 25 Cleansing, 47 Conditioning, 25 Bubbly, 23 Creamy, 62 Iodine, and 158 INS

For fragrance I was planning the following combos:

Batch 1(Relaxing): 1 part Lavender, 2 parts Rosewood and 1 part Vanilla

Batch 2 (Masculine): 1.5 parts Sandalwood, .5 part Tea Tree and 2 parts Patchouli

Batch 3(Energizing): 1 part Lemon eucalyptus,1 part Mandarin, and 2 parts Vanilla

Ok, so I know I posted a lot here... But if anyone could offer me tips or suggestions that would be wonderful! Thanks in advance

Have you used this recipe before? I think you're high on safflower and low on olive. Safflower will be slow to trace, but it may attract more moisture than you want and promote DOS at that amount, especially if it is not high oleic. I question the use the of two shortenings. Are you pulling the crisco to get the palm from it? Basically you've got close 67% of hard oils in your recipe.I'm not saying it won't be a good recipe, but I don't think the amount of shortening will cut down on the amount of irritancy that using so much coconut oil can cause. However, one of the benefits of creating your own recipe is it gives you a starting point. I probably would try it in a smaller batch than 4 1/2 pounds unless you are quite comfortable with your recipe.

I have never made this before.

I brought in the second shrtening because just the Crisco gave me really whacky numbers like way over 70 for the iodine. What suggestions would you make? Those are the oils I have on hand... how do you know if the safflower is high oleic?

This is very similar to a recipe I got on this forum and it's an EXCELLENT bar of soap

I would do your percentages different and I think your results would be very good.

30% Coconut

25% OO

25% Safflower

20% Veg Shortening

I don't why you are using Crisco and GV shortening. Is the GV the all veg or one with animal fat? You could probably break that up 50/50. I don't know if you're working off a specific recipe you found or if your measurements are based on what you have on hand.

Keep your breast milk frozen when you add your lye to it. It will keep the sugars in the milk from caramelizing when the lye reacts with it.

As far as adding the essential oils to your soap. The third mix especially needs to be anchored. Lemon and Mandarin oils don't hold up well in soap. Litsea EO is the best citrus-smelling anchor and adding a small amount of that will help it retain its scent. Lavender too needs to be anchored. I don't know if the rosewood will help with that. A little patchouli in batch 1 would help or the Litsea. Someone else maybe able to suggest another good anchor as well. Also be aware that the vanilla is going to turn your soap brown and it will darken as time goes on. I say don't worry about it and embrace the brown, but if you plan on coloring your soap it will effect it.

HTH,

J

Yes the GV is the kind with tallow in it... the crisco is just to soft? The measurements are a direct result of upping and downing on soapcalc based on the results I get... I plan to get the aprox % and then recreate a smaller batch to try first (I'm thinking 1 pringle can worth for a first try).

Thanks for the info about the frozen milk. I can just weigh the cubes till I get the right amount, right?

30% Coconut

25% OO

25% Safflower

20% Veg Shortening (I used the new crisco w/palm, should I split this 50/50?)

soapcalc: Iodine of 83 and INS of 132... isn't that going to make a really soft bar, it is high in condition though...

Will this slime? I guarantee no one in my house will use it if it slimes...

luckily it's frozen in 1 ounce sticks...

I didn't plan on coloring the soap so I will embrace the brown color... I noticed there is another forum about oils on here so maybe I should ask there about fragrance and balance and anchoring?

Do any citrus hold up well to soaping? Or can you recommend a good kid friendly soap smell combo?

This is Quietgirl's Basic Soap recipe and I can tell you it doesn't slime at all. In fact it has a great lather. I just put both my suggestion with your oils on hand and my recipe side by side and the values are not exact but they are not that far off either.

I can no longer find it in the recipe section but this is what I use.

25% OO

25% Safflower

15% CO

15% PKO

15% Crisco

5% Shea (although I've subbed all kinds of butters for this)

Mine has an INS of 122.

Yours (with my adjustments) has an INS of 139 and that's with 10% Crisco and 10% GV.

I use 15% palm kernel oil and 15% coconut but PKO has a similar fatty acid content to CO (at least according to the American Palm Oil Council) so I figured you could just double up on it. Plus you don't have any Shea or other luxury butters in your recipe. I also add 5% of that or something else like Mango, Cocoa, hempseed, jojoba. But other than that my recipes values are not too far off from my recalculation of your oils. Like Scented suggested just try a small batch first to see if it works.

Lemongrass EO holds up okay for me but no true citrus EOs really don't. That's why I recommend anchoring with Litsea.

And above all just relax and have fun!

High Oleic will say it on the bottle.

Some fixatives for EOs besides the litsea cubeba (which is good for citrus), patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood (amyris is a cheaper alternative), oakmoss, frankincense, myrrh, cedarwood, ylang ylang, and there are others I believe. Rosewood, I love it!! It's not a fixative, but it should stay true. There are probably others.