Did you ever hear of Bottlehood? The reuse beer jars to make candles.

I just think that they have a unique idea that could be highly profitable if picked up by the right company.

Don't get me wrong - I like the idea, but it's not so simple from a mega-corp POV.

For example, someone buys one of the soy candles with the logo on it. The candle causes a fire that burns their house down and their whole family is tragically killed in the fire. The headlines would feature the news about the *NAME OF BEER* candle that caused the fire. Now the company whose name was on the label had nothing to do with the making of the candle that was poured into one of their bottles that had been cut down ito a glass shape, BUT they have just been dragged into a huge, embarrassing public relations mess. If they licensed or gave permission for the Bottlehood folks to make this product, they could be named in the lawsuits that would surely follow not to mention the unwanted negative publicity for their product. That's one reason why companies are very picky about what products they license or give permission for the use of their corporate logos & trademarks. Companies have to be extremely careful about allowing their products to be "repurposed" because of exposure to litigation and damage to their corporate image.

Sometimes "green" ideas are naive, even though they seem like great concepts on the surface. Simply recycling the bottles is plenty green enough without having to cut down the bottle, clean it, pour the candle into it (with no idea of how the cutting may have affected the stresses of the glass) and market it as if the original producer had licensed the product.

What about any glass manufacture that has they name on a jar.... Libbey glass for example. They have the marking on the jar so everyone knows its their brand and trademark. I know they make jars for candle use but really wouldn't their name also be in question if one of their jars burst and caused a candle fire?

I buy a bottle of beer, (not me I don't drink the stuff) I really don't see anything wrong with using that empty bottle to create new art/merchandise as long as you don't fill it up with the type of product they sell, beer. lol

If I had a custom glass jar for my candles I would welcome and DO welcome seeing how my consumers can come up with creative and use full ideas on how to recycle them. If they want to make a buck off if it because of THEIR labor to create a new item from something I already made my profit on I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Just my 2 Lincolns, Bruce

I think it comes down to the intent of the product, if Libby and others are manufacturing glassware for people and businesses to use, then that is the intent of their product whether it is filled with sand, jelly beans or wax. If the product is not approved for a particular use, let say gasoline storage and an accident occurs, they have a legal out. If they sell a product which is intended to be a candle, then it must meet some specifications (I would assume) and their liability probably extends only to manufacture's defects. A beer bottle, on the other hand, was intended to be just that, a chilled-fluid container; not a candle or art du jour. If you use it for other purposes, you are taking the risk not them. Just my thoughts.