Flameless Candles

Not only have I read alot of articles about these lately, but today's "Special Value" on QVC is a set of these. People appear to be crazy over these, and many have said they will never use a real candle again because there's no fear of forgetting to blow it out, where they place it, other safety issues, and they love the timers. Once they're set, you can come home from work and find your candles already lit. I bought a set 2 years ago now to try, and have to admit, they look like real candles, and I love the timers! Most of them don't have any scent so it's just the ambience people are going for.

Do you think they pose a trend that may cut into our sales?

BTW: I remember a post some time ago that I can't find now...someone here referred to a QVC flameless leaf pillar candle they bought to have a mold maker make a mold of. It's a Candle Impressions item, and it's back in stock. I watched the video on it tonight. Beautiful...but they did say it was a patented item, so if you read this, be careful if/where you sell it...the Candle Impressions "police" may come after you!:laugh2:

I have them in my home & love them...but I don't think they will ever put wicked candles out of business. Just a different market. There is an expense to having them too, have to replace the batteries every few months (I have them on a timer) & that isn't cheap either...just convenient & for those that want a good scent throw...those aren't for that at all.

Edited by marcuset

People appear to be crazy over these

I think a period could have been placed after "crazy..."

They make electronic dogs, too, but I don't think they'll ever replace the real deal. Those are fake candles. Not "faux," not "flameless" - FAKE. Loads of people fail to discern the difference between something that is real, that has intrinsic value and quality of craftsmanship and something that's a cleverly marketed fake.

I make real stuff. QVC is not pandering to my market. I'm not worried.

They are not any more fake than the electric candles that people place in their windows. They have a purpose different than a real candle but they do have a purpose. My friend's mother lives in a retirement community. Flames are forbidden and this allows members of the community the illusion of candle light when they want it. They are very pretty in a candle ring.

There are also pillar and other molds that you can make candles with that have an indentation for a tea light. I have done this and put a battery operated tealight candle in it. This way, the customer can have a scented candle, but not have to worry about the flame if they prefer flameless. It is a great way to tap into both types of markets.