Wicks for floating candles?

Hi, I am very new to the candle business and I couldn't find an answer under search.

I love making Floating candles, but not sure what wick to use. I have been using a hot needle to pierce a hole into the cured candle and inserting a zinc core wick that I cut to the proper length. But as the wax melts, the wicks falls to its side because the hole that I inserted it in.

I'm probably doing this very wrong, lol, so ANY advice would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!!

Edited by SpunkyMoo

I use the same tabbed, primed wick assemblies I would use for any candle of that size (I use veggie waxes with CDs or CDNs). I place the wick into the mold before I pour the candle. What one has to do is make SURE the bottom of the floater is sealed with wax so that the wick cannot draw water up into it. I dip the very bottom in some of the same wax just to be sure. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

• 1 year later...

We make a ton of floating roses- after they are cooled and removed from mold, we use a drill bit to drill a hole straight through. We use pretabbed t light wicks and insert them, then use some extra wax that the roses were made from to fill in the bottom so no water leaks through. The bottoms end up being nice and smooth and the wicks are perfectly centered. They burn for about 5 hours each and look really beautiful after the flame goes out... Kind of like a beautiful shell of a rose... HTH