Incense Testing

Caramel

Hi all,

LTNS! :)

I'm in the process of making and testing incense, and all is going well; however, I'm experiencing lots of smoking when I first light the stick. It seems to take a few seconds longer to light, then it's a high flame with smoking before the stick glows.

Anyone else testing/making incense have this problem? Should I be adjusting the DPG? My current batch was made at 30% DPG/70% FO. My next batch is at 20%DPG/80% FO (I have to wait until Thursday to test).

Any advice is welcome! :smiley2:

Like Nancy and 2of7 said, not enough DPG. With the DPG/FO ratio you are using, you will get the smoking and not a very clean scent. Remember, the DPG acts like a wetting agent and helps the fragrance penetrate and spread through the stick or cone.

I also do a 50%/50% ratio. Some scents are a bit too strong at that combo, so I increase the DPG for those. Also, if the incense is not completely dry, you will get some smoking as well. Sometimes I get impatient after soaking to let them thoroughly dry so I experience what you are talking about. Not the smartest thing in the world but testing sometimes reminds me of grass growing. Hurry up and cure already!! :laugh2:

OMG, so I've been following the wrong directions?! I used the guidelines from Wellington Fragrance... so now I've wasted product thinking I was doing it right... UGH!

Thanks so much for the help, ladies. I was pulling my hair out!

@ ProudMarineMom- YES, the curing stage KILLS me. Candles and incense should cure quicker for those of us who have no patience. LOL

And I found other instructions that made it a 2-step process. First soak in FO and dry out ... then dip in DPG and dry out. The 50-50 and one step is a great place to start. Could you imagine waiting 2 days???

I saw that, too, and thought, "No way, no how!". I would be insane waiting.

I wonder if adding additional DPG to the ones I already made will fix the problem? At this point, it can't hurt...... (right?)

I have no real experience doing this ... but ... if there was a 2 dip method that said it worked maybe, just maybe, dipping a few of them in only DPG and letting them dry out would solve the problem.

Think that's the route I'd take ... HTH

Wow, there are some crazy directions for different things huh? I usually do a 50/50 ratio also. I personally don't care for incense, but my finace adores them. I make them for him. They're supposed to dry for a week, but in all honesty, I think he's dipped into them before that.. haha He has no patience to wait for them to completely dry, and he never tells me he needs more until he's completely out! MEN! haha

A week... really? Wow.

So I let them dry for a day and a half and lit two scents. One was still a bit smoky, so that needs some work (but the cherry based scent was good and strong). The other wasn't but I notices teeny sparks(?), but it worked great! (this lime based scent may need work or not suitable for incense, just candles).

I think I'll keep working from 50/50 until it's just right. Thanks to you all for the help- and helping me keep my sanity! lol

Cherry is my hunny's fav scent for incense. Another FO that made a fantastic incense was Bamboo Hemp from NG. He's a patch lover, so even a straight patch worked good (gag). I need to get more cherry from NG and want to try a patch/cherry combo. Anything helps for his stinky mancave. HAHA How do you dry yours? I band mine together with a rubberband, and hang them upside down. i put the pan I used to soak the scents in under it so the dips go in there. Even the drying out time makes the room smell great!

The same! Rubberband or twist ties over a pan (I cover the pan with foil so it catches the oil and I can drain it back into a bottle for storage until I use it again). I use our small 1/2 bath downstairs for soaking/drying and it makes it and the house smell great when the door is open.

The mister loves them and has been encouraging. I'm so excited by this project!

• 1 month later...

I'm driving myself CRAZY!

So I tried more DPG than FO. I dipped, then dried... fragrance wasn't strong and still some black smoking when first being lit. At least with the other batches (50/50 blend I allowed to soak for 24 hrs, then dry for 24 more hrs) had one or two FOs that didn't smoke (as much) and the fragrance was strong.

So I went back to the 48 hr method and tried a 50/50 with a new FO blend and the fragrance was strong, but the dreaded black smoke when being lit (when on fire) came back.

What the hell is going on?! I guess I'll try to up the DPG again and see what that does... so frustrated.

At least I have something to do between incense, candle testing and jewelry.... *sigh* :laugh2:

Edited by Caramel

Are you using wood-based blanks or charcoal? Does the black smoke stop once the incencse starts it's normal burn?

I use charcoal so trying to remember if the wood-based took longer to dry than charcoal. It can take longer than 24 hours for my charcoal to throughly dry. The outside may not be wet but the core is not fully dry. Cones especially need a longer dry time.

Before you give up on what you have, let it dry for a few more days then try lighting one. I'll try to light a couple of mine I made last month and pay better attention when I first light. I know when it's just the normal burn, I don't get black smoke.

Ok, tested both a charcoal and wood stick. Both of them were made over a month ago. Neither one of them had black smoke on lighting. The wood stick had a larger flame but I still didn't see any black. Just nice curling white smoke and fragrance.

So, I would suggest letting your 50/50 batch dry a few more days, or even a week, then try again. I suspect it's probably not quite dry. When I first pour a new fragrance I'm impatient as well. Although I do burn early and get the black, at least I know if I like the fragrance before making a larger batch.

Yeah, try letting it dry longer. The next step is to up it to 75/25 dpg/fo. I have to do that with the cherry cuz it's EXTREMELY strong!

I just ordered Dragstrip from NG cuz a friend wants incense in that.. Ugh I'm dreading making that because the house will STINK lol This one definately won't be drying in my house!!! HAHA!

I just reread and I honestly don't think 48 hours is enough drying time. I wait at LEAST a week and have never had any issues with smoking...

Edited by lauramw71
i don't know how to read lol

Yesterday I tested an incense stick that I made in Moon Lake Musk from CS. I could swear that thing burned for well over an hour! lol

It was awesome. Gonna burn another one today and time it. I used a 50/50 mix with NG sticks.

Doesn't that make just a great incense? That was one of the first FO I did and I just love it.

Sorry for the late response!

I'm using wood incense and I think letting them dry longer helped with one of my fragrances. Still a little (tiny) smoking, but not as much, so that's progress! Plus the sticks aren't as dark, so I think they weren't as dry as I originally thought. Ugh, I dislike waiting so long, but it will be worth it if I get a good smell, light and burn (almost 55 minutes!).

Thanks, as always! Now if only making candles were this "easy".... *SIIIIIGH!*

Edited by Caramel

yay! It definately takes patience to get these things right!!! My hunny recently burnt the ones I recently made and he only waited about 3 days. He said it actually caught fire in the middle of burning it!!! ACK!!! I'm hoping that was just because he got impatient and didn't wait the week that I tell him he has to wait. Never had THAT happen before! I know it's not too much FO. It's cherry from NG, and that is SO strong I do a 75/50 cut with it. I forgot to ask him if he has had that issue any more since they've now dried out for a while... scary stuff!