Getting back into soap making

Mitch23

Hi. I was here a while back, and made a couple of batches of soap that everyone in my neighborhood is still raving about. I have recently gotten the urge to try some more. I have forgotten alot of the minor details, so have been reading for the last few days everything I could find. Got the oils I could find locally, and ordered a few I wanted, but couldn't find around here. I was also lucky enough to find the same brand of lye talked about on the Millersoap site. I dug around some and found my old post with the recipe I used, and am going to try to tweak it a bit because I felt it was too slimy, which I believe was from high Olive oil. (Am I right about this?)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could or would give me any advice about this recipe:

Olive 12.5%

Avocado 25%

Castor 12.5%

Walmart Shortening 25%

Coconut 25%

Water 18.24 ozs. Lye 6.73 ozs.

I ran it through soap calc, and their numbers look pretty good to me, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. I'd appreciate it if anyone could steer me away from any oil if it's not good.

Thanks.

Mitch

My thoughts on the recipe are Castor at that amount may make your soap sticky and it makes the soap softer, I would suggest 5%. Also avocado is high I would stay below 10% it also makes the soap softer especially with that much Castor. I don't know which Shortening you bought at walmart as there is a few types. You are correct about the Olive oil will make a soap slimey, you have to let it cure longer with high amounts. I use up to 30% with an 6 week cure and deep water discount, I found it not to be bad at all. But it is a personal preference. Try your recipe and see if you like it is my best suggestion.

looks very soft, but nice and gentle. i'd probably cut the castor down to 5%, though, and make up the difference in olive oil. i don't find that olive oil at that level generates a slimy soap (at 90%, yes - at 12.5% or even 20%, no).

i haven't worked with avocado for ages, so cannot speak to that.