Allowing tins to cool in the oven?

Hey all, another n00b-like post... I was just wondering if anyone has experience with cooling their candles in the oven... This is my issue:

Where I live is currently 24 degrees, and we have our pouring setup in the garage... We have aluminum tins from candlescience, so heating up the tins is useless, they cool back down almost immediately.

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to pour the candles in the cold-ass garage, and then move them into the house, with the oven around 150 degrees, shut the oven off and allow them to cool in there?

P.S. We are using GB-415 soy wax. Thanks a lot!

It's worth a try, but that room temp is well below recommendations... I think there'd be a lot of thermal shock with the warm wax hitting those ice-cold tins... You could try pouring 3 or 4 to see what happens...

Some folks use electric roaster ovens to warm their glassware... Maybe you could use one of those in the garage to both prewarm, then cool the tins slowly. The tins wouldn't have much chance to cool down before they were poured if you poured each one straight out of the roaster, then replaced it.

Believe it or not, we poured some candles, and they work extremely well just cooling in the freezing temperatures in the garage. Smooth tops, everything. Actually, the one time I brought a candle indoors to cool, the top came out rough and there was almost nothing I could do to repair it. I don't know if we've discovered something, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Well, if it's workin' for you, then carry on and don't worry about it! :yay:

I had a simliar experience with a Thanksgiving batch I made. I won't repeat this unless Ma Nature forces me to do so, but sometimes things work out right when we least expect them to do so. :D

How are they burning? Are the tops returning to the same smooth state?

Edited by Stella1952

Well they weren't tins, but I have cooled all of my candles in the oven. I simply don't have the counter space for much else. I preheated the oven on the lowest setting to warm the containers so I just turned the oven off and left the containers overnight after they were poured & my tops have always been flat.

Now over Christmas I did have a candle that somehow settled at an angle & another with a bubble where I had the brilliant idea to remelt the wax in the oven. I also had the brilliant idea to heat the oven to my pour temp. . . . . it worked . . . kinda. The crooked one leveled. The bubbly one was more stubborn but I was able to get that out as well. The process wasn't faster than just remelting on the stove & the wax turned brown. No scent change, just browned. Just FYI in case anyone else has a radom "I wonder what would happen if" moment.