Burn Rate for candles

I was told by a vendor at a craft fair that soy candles burned 50% longer then paraffin wax candles. I dont make soy or straight paraffin wax candles but use 6006 parasoy blend wax. When I tested the burn time on my candles they averaged around 6 to 7 hours an ounce. I was wondering if anyone else that tests their burn rate can list the type of wax and burn time.

Thanks

Depends on the wick and the container that you use.

In my tealights with the small tealight wick, I get the same as you, 7-9 hr/oz with paraffin. Soy seems to be about the same but I have to use a larger wick.

I have some containers that are about a half pound (9.5 oz really) and I get about 45 hours of burn time = about 5 hr/oz. The diameter is pretty wide, like 3.2 inches, so it has a large wick to make a good melt pool. J50 and J223 are the wax choices.

I have some other containers that burn on a smaller wick, but have a smaller diameter, about 2.5 inches. I use an IGI wax in those, paraffin. Same burn time as the J's. About 40 hours for a half pound. That would be about 5 hr/oz as well. Slightly more though, but not much.

The IGI pillar wax (paraffin) burns about 60 to 70 hours for a full pound. Maybe more, I didn't measure the time perfectly. I think they dip under 5 hr/oz.

The pillar palm wax has a huge wick, a #4 square braid. They go about 100 hours or more.

I don't use soy very much. My recollection is that they probably do burn slightly longer than the paraffin, but not much.

Again, it depends on the wick and the container. I think if you have a wall to wall and deep melt pool with a large wick, you can expect to consume more wax per hour than if you have a barely wall to wall with a shallow melt pool.

Edited by EricofAZ