Body Conditioner/Shower Butter question

mrstkeller

Hi all! This is my first post here. My sister and I are making some B&B products for family and we've amassed quite a supply of oils/butters. I have a couple products from various etailers that I really like to use to help fight off the winter itchies that are used in the shower. But I figure that since i have most if not all the ingredients, I could take a crack at making some for myself. They aren't scrubs as they don't have an exfoliating ingredients. I basically am looking for something to use at the end of my shower so I don't have to add so much body butter after.

They all call for basically the same things. . .

Some butter (cocoa or mango)

Oils (coconut, grape seed, apricot kernel and avocado)

ewax, vitamin e and fragrance

So my question is. . should I just blend the oils into the butter then add the other ingredients? Or should there be some 'special' technique to use?

I'm a new to most of this. . all I've done is spent WAY too much time on the computer (mostly in this black hole) looking up stuff.

Thanks so much!

Edited by mrstkeller

ok i'll just say that if you use a good handmade soap or Natural melt and pour is good too, you can virtually avoid the winter itch.

A nice emulsified scrub with sugar as exfoliater is nice...I have a recipe here somewhere on this board. leaves your skin feeling soft and moist.

There is a process when making such things like scrubs, lotion body butter etc.

Do you have a recipe for what you are wanting to make?

i was going to say it kinda sounds essentially like a body butter.. or a scrub.. without the sugar. Am I understanding you correctly? I guess I dont get why it makes a difference to do it in the shower, versus after. A nice superfatted bar of soap, like Katshe mentioned, helps alot... but basically an emulsified mixture of water and butters/oils is a lotion.. whether in the shwer or out..

I use superfatted bars of both a high quality M&P and CP from Haunt and Arcana. I still don't find soap that moisturizing. Maybe I have freakish skin. . but I'm still dry. It might have to do with living in CA? It's a really dry cold here. *shrug*

If I used this without the water. . it just would be oily. But something about using this in the shower and then rinsing off quickly. . I'm not oily when I get out. Just moisturized.

I use Villainess' Decadnce Smooch right now. . and the product that had me thinking I needed to make my own (since I was tempted to buy it) was Cocoa Pink's Shower Butta.

Now sure if that helps to understand what I'm after. And no. . no recipe.

http://www.villainess.net/decadence-smooch.html

yep looks pretty much like a scrub without the sugar. the Cetearyl Alcohol & Polysorbate emulsify in water.. just like a scrub would.

sooooo.. I would suggest checking out a few good emulsified scrub recipes, minus the sugar... play with some volumes, you might want to up the emulsifiers or butters, to compensate for the lack of sugar.. that would firm it up a bit.

All i see is oils and butters with emulsifiers ...I didn't see water as and ingredient on the smooch product.....

Myself...I use straight olive oil on wet skin. avoids all the formulating and essentially water is moisture. oils help to draw moisture in and make you feel supple...

for me I like the simplicity of just using an oil and I mean just a couple drops is all u really need and use that on wet just showered skin

Soap will not moisturize your skin ...different recipies can be less drying to the skin but the oils transform into soap with some maybe left when superfatting but not enough to moisturize your skin. if did it would be mushy ...like a scrub

Maybe you should try a pure castile soap that has no coconut oil...the coconut oil adds bubblage and is the most drying oil ...pure olive oil soap is extremely gentle on the skin

It will take a few days or a week for your skin to notice the change.

I really enjoy a solid scrub bar with incroquat right at the end of the shower. With the butters & the conditioner it allows me not to lather with lotion at the end.

I have very hard water and find that it does a number even with my high olive oil content in soap.

I have used Smootch by Villianess for a while and it does contain sugar - it's a scrub. I guess she does not mention in that listing, but if you look at the product descriptions it's on there - and every jar I have ever used is an exfoliant type product.

I have used Smootch by Villianess for a while and it does contain sugar - it's a scrub. I guess she does not mention in that listing, but if you look at the product descriptions it's on there - and every jar I have ever used is an exfoliant type product.

Some of her Smooches are different. This one doesn't have sugar in it. It's completely runny. I actually have it in a shower gel container in my shower.

Here's her run-down on the different types of Smooches

The smoochy part of a Smooch! is the rich, self-emulsifying butter base. After that, we make 4 varieties of Smooch! (as indicated in the "MO" field on individual product pages) that vary vastly in texture, temperature and application.

• Body Conditioners: Almost entirely butters and oils. These go on like a balm, emulse to a lotion, and leave you kissable. They feature a mere smattering of botanicals for decadence's sake, but are not exfoliating in nature.
  • Salt or Sugar Body Scrub: This is the basic Smooch! It is 65% exfoliating components (usually a blend of sugars or salts), and 35% butters and oils. These are more of a traditional scrub, with a generous window to exfoliate before the salts or sugars melt, and the same clean-rinsing emulsion as our Body Conditioners. These generally feature a very light smattering of botanicals - fruit seeds, ground spices, jojoba beads and more.
  • Warming Scrub: These feature a warming component in addition to white, brown, or raw sugars. The warming ingredient makes the texture much more dense, and lends a powdery afterfeel to the Smooch! that enhances the clean-rinsing emulsion. Because they rinse away so cleanly, and have the least conditioning properties, Warming Scrubs are suitable for oily and normal facial skin-types, provided you have no sensitivity to the fragrance or botanical components in the Smooch! With these exceptions, the Warming Scrubs are intended for body application.
  • Facial Scrub: The facial Smooch! is based on a clean-rinsing emulsion, but uses a lighter blend of oils and emulsifiers than any of the body Smooch! products. The exfoliating components are more finely grained, allowing you to concentrate the scrub on rough spots or congested pores.

I use in-shower lotion bars for the same effect. A combo of e-wax, cocoa, shea, and mango butters, cetyl, stearic, and avocado oil. Red has a great recipe posted in this forum. Also, an emulsified scrub, with or without the scrubbies, makes a great in-shower lotion as well. The e-wax (or combo of e-wax and btms is even better) emulsifies the oils with the water from the shower to create a lotion that then rinses off, leaving a moisturized layer on skin that isn't greasy. I like to get as much of my body care done in the shower as I can, and these products allow me to get really soft and not have to lotion up after my shower (though I usually do anyways, as I make so many yummy lotions)!