Warning: to Aussies who use wick stickums

If you buy wick stickums from ACS {the ones with 112 on each card} beware! I just wicked 300 t-light cups with a new batch of stickums. Poured my first batch and when I {gently} centered the wick, like I always do, the wick tab came off the stickum. I poured a tester, making sure I firmly pressed the wick tab down and the same thing happened again!....just floated right off the stickum. The new batch of stickums looked a bit different from the ones I have always received {the paper backing was flimsy kind of}. I will ring ACS in the morning. Needless to say, I am NOT HAPPY, since I have just wicked 300 of the b*&%^ ds!!

Before the wax is poured in, the wick will not pull away, so its obviously the glue that breaks down with the heat from the wax {and I dont pour hot} Just wanted to give you a heads up so no one does what I did.:angry2:

How Frustrating!!

Definitely let them know....They may have changed supplier or the supplier may be having QC issues.

Thanks for letting everyone else know......I don't use them but would appreciate being given the heads up if I were.

Bart70

Rang David at ACS this morning. Very dissapointed with the response. He said that they had noticed the stickums looked a little different so rang the supplier and was told 'we have changed things a little'.

David did not think there was a problem that the stickums didnt stick. He said wicks dont need to be stuck down in t-lights and that he'd made thousands without sticking them down! When I said that its dangerous if they float to the side of the cup, he said ''they wont move''. Well my experience is that THEY WILL MOVE.

When I suggested that people should be made aware of the problem, he said ''well they are only craft stickers and not meant to stick wicks down''.....WTF???

A very frustrating conversation to say the least!

Does anybody else NOT STICK THEIR WICKS DOWN in T-light cups??:confused:

Thats a shame....

David is normally pretty good particularly by comparison with the east coast supplier. The lack of stock at NCS is probably taking its toll on David as people turn to him for Christmas supplies - he may not be as helpful as in the past maybe?

They are either craft stickers or wick stickums.....Given they are sold as wick stickums this is the function that they were advertised, and purchsed for intended purpose.. Maybe send them back for a refund as you thought you were getting wick stickums but got sent craft stickers? (Still does not help you with you issue of getting your candles made though...)

As for not sticking wicks down.....Cannot help as I do not pour tea lights. I experimented once with some left over wax but used wick tabs instead.

Bart70

How frustrating for you. I have not poured any candles for awhile now, and still have wick stickums in supply.

I had an issue awhile back to that I unfortunately was not happy with the response. It was not David but his wife I was dealing with.

My issue was related to what I thought was a defective metro jar, half of the box I recieved did not have an even bottom. His wife was actually quite rude telling me she used that particular size jar and had never had an issue, told me unless I returned the whole carton, then tough. It took quite awhile for her to admit that it was occasionaly an issue and admitted the problem was real. I felt like saying get st................ed but given I am in Perth and just a short drive away. I ended up living with the problem as I do not sell my candles. There is no way I would sell a candle made with uneven candle if I did sell.

I think your point is valid I would keep up with the complaint. I know they are very overworked these days and they work in cramped conditions, they may have the market but customer service should be paramount. What a lot of crock, they should stick, end of story.

Wow Im sorry but if its called a Wick Stickum....its for sticking wicks. End of story. Thats just BS.

I only stick the wicks down on the ones im giving away or selling to friends and I use double sided sticky tape. It works and I cant see how its any different to a wick stikum apart from it not being so thick which I think is a good think cos tealights arent that big. For my use I just wick it after I pour it.

I dont care if they are busy or not no one should be rude. Hello... without people buying their stuff they wouldnt have a business. People forget that we are employing them to supply us...can always go to another supplier.

Deena I bought some metro jars from them a couple of months ago and out of 12 2 have broken. The lid was on so tight the jar broke in my hand trying to get the lid off.

JMO

When I had my issue, as I said it took ages for her to admit there was a problem, she said they buy thier metros from China and that they could not check every box.

I gave up, but I think the attitude that unless I returned the whole carton they would not replace the defective jars, is crock. I had already told her that I did not realise there was an issue until I actually poured the candle, so hello I could not return the jars.

Did you contact them regarding your broken jars?

. People forget that we are employing them to supply us...can always go to another supplier.

I agree with you 100%.....But until we have REAL choice in suppliers, and suppliers who are capable of supplying at commercial quantities and regularity, we will always be at the mercy of them.

If I cannot supply product to my stockists (retailers) - They simply go to our larger competitors. We lose business, and the suppliers lose my business - Simple as that!

Even at our small size, we are having supply issues. We are now looking at our medium to long term business plan and leaning towards importing our own materials to guarantee supply. We either do this or stockpile large quantities from the local suppliers. Cost wise it is more efficient and cost effective to just import.

If we do not do this, we will not exist. Retailers today have choice and are not prepared to lose business waiting for our suppliers to supply wax or FO, when they can be making $$ selling our competitors product.

I cannot treat my customers like our suppliers treat me because my customers have choice and will abandon me. Our suppliers know that we do not have this luxury - and therein lies the problem, and the answer as to why this will never improve in the foreseeable future.

Off my pedestal now......:cheesy2:

Bart70

bart70 ...JMO means that Just My Opinion. Please dont get on your pedestal and lecture at me again. I understand how business works dont assume that I dont by ranting at me about supply and demand

Sorry KoalaGirl this is off topic

Apologies if it offended....it was not intended to. We feel the same frustrations and pain as you do.

You implied you have choice - I gave my opinion and reasoning as to why I believe I dont. It was not aimed at you personally and I apologise again if you took offence to it.

Bart70

Edited by bart70

Deena I bought some metro jars from them a couple of months ago and out of 12 2 have broken. The lid was on so tight the jar broke in my hand trying to get the lid off.

JMO

That jar issue is not limited to ACS. I got a large order of apothecary jars from Gala in Adelaide and many of them had lids so tight that they broke when lidding or unlidding the jars. I complained to Andrew but he really didn't care either.

The level of customer service here in Aus is bloody appalling, but what choice do we have?

As far as t-lights are concerned, I agree that the wick STICK-UMS should indeed stick the wicks down. Way back when we were crazy enough to actually pour t-lights we used to hot glue the wicks and never had any issues. It was also much quicker than the stickums as well.

I am with Bart as far as importing my own stuff. Already most of our oils come from the States, along with label blanks, braided cotton, beads and a whole bunch of other stuff. Not only is it more reliable it is also so much cheaper, wven with the shipping added.

I have been trying to arrange some counter display / shipper boxes for our melts. Not a huge task I wouldn't have thought. Wrong!! The prices here are just insane!

Between $450 - $1100 just for the die to be made and then up to $2.85 / box for quantities less than 500 and not too much less for larger amounts. I can get direct from China for about $1.60 US each inclusive of shipping.

This country is just so behind the rest of the world in both customer service and pricing, no wonder everyone is starting to buy online from overseas.

/End Rant

Here is the description on ACS website for the stickums:

These stickums are a 12mm double sided stickum (112/pack), Perfect for anchoring the wick tab to the bottom of ACS glassware.

So why David told me they are not meant to stick wicks down is contrary to the description!

Wicks probably would be unlikely to move if the t-light cup was not touched during the burn but we all know that people will always do things they shouldnt do eg, carry or move a lit candle/ t-light holder which could {and probably would with these stickums} cause the wick to slide sideways.

I also had a problem with jars breaking due to tight lids. I rang and was told, ''The lids need to be twisted one way on and then twisted the other way off''. I dont intend giving my customers a lecture on how to de- lid a candle so they dont cut an artery so I will not use the {old} ones I have from them. On a brighter note, I did buy a case of their 'new improved metro's' and they are a lot better. Thicker glass and easy on off lids.

Richard, maybe the hot glue gun is the way to go. I make a lot of t-lights so need something that works fast and is reliable. Do glue guns fit that bill? Is there a special type of glue stick to use?

I really love what I do but its an uphill battle as far as supply's/suppliers are concerned. If its not one thing, its another. Its not hard to understand why business's fail due to supplier issues!*dead horse*

I always glue wicks down in t-lites...They do move. Since they are already in the t-lites, I would add a dab of caulking to the side of each tab. It should hold it good enough to straighten wicks. I have had this happen with hot glue, in the old days.

For t-lites I use adhesive dots, small, by Scotch. They are very sticky and don't have any paper between. I touch the tab to the adhesive, then stick in container. Works great....