dont hate me

This may have been asked before... But Im at my wits end and about to just give up all together. Can someone please tell me the exact wick that would work well with IGI 4630A? I hate to buy more wax. Id like to just get it right with what I have. I have the lx wick sample pack and the zinc core sample pack. Im trying to make the 16ish ounce canning jar candles. And I have been trying 1ounce fo/pound. Seems like Im just wasting the oil and wax because I get nothing as far as scent throw... Ive been using lx 18s. But Im guessing this is wrong. Should I go up or down? Or better yet, which wick will work the best? I would be eternally gratefull! Ive been buying most of my oils from Peak...

Also I usually mix in fo at 180 degrees... Forgive me if Im a complete moron. :)

I really like to go to Candle Science and use their wick guide to help me with wicks. I'm not sure what diamater size you are using, so I guessed and chose the 3 to 3.5 inch (or if I even chose the correct wax since I didn't see 4630A, just 4630). With the LX series, they said the 18 and if you read the foot notes, it also says to try the size up and down from the 18. Here is the link for you.

http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php

Another wick guide I like is wickit, but it doesn't help you narrow down based on wax like Candle Science does. Here is that link. http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html#eco

Also, if you let us know what the candle is doing besides having no throw, that may help too. What is the melt pool depth, how long are you burning, what is the size of the room, flame height and anything else about the actual burn may be helpful to narrow down a suggestion for you as well.

I been using the pint size regular mouth mason jars 3" dia., I like the zinc wicks the best, no smoke or soot,even burn , but the 51z just wasn't cutting it, too long to get a fmp. Im wicking up to a 60z. you might have to use the 61z. I would try either on of the 2 60z or 61z. I tries lx 18, no fmp, smoked htp104 fmp, but smoke & soot. Im sure the more experience chandlers will give more input. Good luck!!! Im testing too...

NewMexicoGirl, what is the scent you are testing with? This wax has awesome throw with most of Peak's scents, although a couple are a bit light.

But here is something: air conditioning will really throw off your scent throw and I bet yours is on most of the time. Try testing someplace with less air flow. I'm in Florida and when the air is on, I don't notice throw nearly as well as in the Winter when the air is off.

LX wicks work well with this wax, depending on the scent. So do Peak's cottons, HTP wicks, and recently I'm having good luck with Premier wicks in the really heavy FO's like cinnamon. 1 oz per pound is fine. In fact, on strong oils like Cinnamon I go down to 3/4 oz. per pound. You may need to wick down on this wax to avoid smoking.

You might also move to a smaller jar. From what I read, the big ones don't sell real well and it is easier to test in small jars. You don't waste as much wax and FO. Unless, of course, you are only making these for yourself, then it is personal preference. HTH, good luck.

Ive tested ginger peach, amish harvest, and banana nut breat. I havent had the air on while burning these, so Im not sure... I do have a VERY big house, but when I was pouring ginger peach the whole house smelled amazing. I can smell it if I put it in the half bathroom with the door shut. I guess I was just hoping for something more...Could it be that I burnt off most of the fragrance when pouring? Is 180 too hot to add fragrance? amish harvest and banana nut arent very strong either for some reason, but when I burn them in my electric oil burner, they are. Ill start using smaller jars to test in soon...

I just recently ordered one of peaks kits that came with the 4630 wax and they sent me pretabbed 6" 51-32-18 zinc core wicks and

I have been testing them in 8 oz containers and have had some good results

Edited by bearmnt

I use LX wicks alot. I suggest you wick up to a 20 or 22. I use the 18 and 20 in most 8-9 ounce jars. I don't use mason jars but I use a jar that is approx. 3 -3.5 inches in diameter. I have used for 4630 in the past and it is not a difficult wax to wick. Peaks is an excellent supplier. When you say that you had a 1/4" mp after an hour that would be the first sign to go larger.

I would try an 8 oz jar first. Jars work best when they are just about as tall as they are round. I always sold more 8oz jars than the 16 oz in my area but they worked a whole lot easier for me. If you pour up 15 oz of wax and 1 oz of fragrance oil you have two nice candles. I have a pair of bent nose needle nose pliers that are just right for pulling wicks out when testing. You want your jar to be warm not hot to the touch and the flame to be about an inch high. sooting and mushrooms are going to happen whenever the wick is not efficiently burning the wax. Your temp is not going to burn off your fragrance oil but if you use too much it has the opposite effect (more is not always good). Stick with that combination of wax, wick and jar until you have it down. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Ive tested ginger peach, amish harvest, and banana nut breat. I havent had the air on while burning these, so Im not sure... I do have a VERY big house, but when I was pouring ginger peach the whole house smelled amazing. I can smell it if I put it in the half bathroom with the door shut. I guess I was just hoping for something more...Could it be that I burnt off most of the fragrance when pouring? Is 180 too hot to add fragrance? amish harvest and banana nut arent very strong either for some reason, but when I burn them in my electric oil burner, they are. Ill start using smaller jars to test in soon...

Something is wrong- I have a 4 oz. jelly jar and it scents about 500 square feet. Amish Harvet is one that I cut back to 3/4 oz per pound. I don't think you can expect the same throw from a burning candle as you do when pouring. I don't think 180 is a problem for the scent but may cause the tops to sink a tiny bit. You won't burn off the scent unless you leave it heating for quite a while. How big is VERY big? Maybe you are expecting too much from one candle?

well, my house is 2500-3000 square feet with two floors. Im mostly just wanted the bottom floor to smell... The candle pretty much just scents up a small bathroom after a couple of hours... Ill test out a smaller jar in the next day or so, just havent had a chance this past weekend..

gash i know exactly how you feel....i just want the right answer too ..to solve all my issues lol.....i use candle science 4627 comfort blend wax...i just started making candles about a month or two ago....i went by the wick guideline...bummer for me....i am currently using ECO 4'6 in my 12 oz jars and was just told by a fellow candle maker that the ECO wicks were mostly for soy? i dont know if this is all true or not beings CS did suggest this wick.....I do get black soot around the rims of my jars...but it does put off a good scent throw.....i wish i knew the EXACT WICK that works PERFECTLY with no black soot and an amazing throw...you let me know when you find it :) but again so far what i am using is doing fine! i did notice today tho that candle science upped the price on their wax BUMMER! hope you have a great day!