Fragrance oil amount question

TexasBrat

Am curious about something I hadn't thought of before. So how exactly are you all figuring your fragrance oil per pound. If you make a 2# batch of soap you are measuring 2#'s of oils but there is about 10-12 ouces of lye water to add so you are really making almost 3#s of soap mixture. Do you figure the fo to the oils amount only or the total weight once you add the lye water?

I have added .5 ounces of fragrance oil to 1# oils not including the lye water. I always notice my soaps don't have a strong smell so am wondering if I have been under fragrancing them.

I always use .7oz to 1 oz per pound of oils, not including the NaOH and water. Other soapers include the NaOH and water when figuring the amount of fragrance. It is really a matter of preference. Some people like lightly scented soap, others like enough fragrance to kill a cow. It's up to you. The only caveat is not to use so much fragrance that it separates or weeps out of the soap. It can also cause excessive ash and crumbliness if using too much.