palm waxes and polycarbonate molds

Hi everyone,

I just received my first order of palm waxes...5lbs feathering wax in a Country Lane starter pillar kit and an additional 5lbs of crystallizing palm (palm-2). (All from Candlewic.) The kit I ordered was supposed to come with aluminum votive molds and a polycarbonate pillar mold. I received the plastic 17 hr votive molds and a 3" ball polycarbonate mold (as the pillar) in the kit. I went back to the website and it states on the designer polycarbonate mold listings that they are not recommended with palm-2 or palm-3. I received palm-3 with the kit, so I don't understand. Why set up a kit with molds you're not supposed to pair with the wax in the kit?

Can anyone tell me why I'm not supposed to use the polycarbonate molds for palm wax? (Is it the pouring temp?) The instructions state that you shouldn't pour the wax at 200 degrees...since it will melt the mold.

I've also read that the feathering will be better in metal molds. Is this a matter of heat retention or something else?

I can't wait to get started but I just wanted to check with some experienced candle makers before I destroy my ball mold! I wrote to Candlewic and asked this question about the polycarbonate mold in the palm pillar kit but I didn't get an answer and placed my order anyway. I also ordered a palm additive but I don't know if I need it for this. I thought it might be helpful for my taper mold (have a vintage one).

Thanks,

Renee

Edited by evergreen