adding chocolate to oil based products (question)

Reg

I want to make something with chocolate for my frined's birthday. So if I wanted to add chocolate to things like body butter or lotion bar (all oils, no water), do I need a preservative, or something like vitamin E would be sufficient? And should I add cocoa powder or bakers semi-sweet chololate or something else?

TIA!

Edited by Reg

I personally would not add chocolate to any leave on product. I would be afraid it would stain the skin, be messy or sticky. I would not buy or use anything that had chocolate in it I chocolate fo if I want something chocolate and Call it white chocolate. FYI Vitamin E is not a preservative. I have no idea how you would preserve something that had chocolate in it.

I have used cocoa powder with stuff and it has been fine.

I am not sure on this but my thinking is that there isn't water in chocolate it is cocoa and some sort of oil. I just read that you can have chocolate for years before it goes bad so if you add it to something that doesn't have water wouldn't it be ok?

Dawn

Edited by sudsnstuff
added more

I have made lip balm and body butter with chocolate chips and they have held up just fine - and been delightful! Chocolate is fat-soluble (not water-soluble), and has a very long shelf-life. As long as water is not introduced into the product there is no environment for mold and bacteria to grow. Add a preservative if that makes you feel more secure about the product. Play with it in small amounts and see what you think!

Guest PassionSunKiss

That's a unique idea! You won't need a preservative if there is no water in it, but it will be somewhat sticky. Have you thought about just using a chocolate FO? I had a friend of mine use real chocolate and the after feel of the body butter had a sticky feel. It was even worse on humid days. If you have enough time to make a couple batches (just incase one or two don't turn out right) then I would go ahead and experiment. After you've made a batch you're confident about have other people or yourself try it out for a few days so they can give you an unbiased opinion.

Edited by PassionSunKiss

Why not also true natural cocoa butter. it has that yummy chocolate smell!

Actually cocoa butter is what making me want to put chocolate in the product to give it a little more chocolatines (more smell and more color without chemicals).

I do a massage butter with cocoa and shea butters, cocoa powder, and milk chocolate FO - melt, mix in cocoa powder, strain out the powder, add milk chocolate FO, and let it cool in the fridge for an hour (I like to stir every fifteen minutes to keep it softer). It is truly decadent and wonderful. I don't have the formula with me, but I know there are some similar recipes floating around the net. The hard part is to remember not to eat it!

I have never experienced any stickiness with chocolate in a product, but I keep the percentage small.

I do a massage butter with cocoa and shea butters, cocoa powder, and milk chocolate FO - melt, mix in cocoa powder, strain out the powder, add milk chocolate FO, and let it cool in the fridge for an hour (I like to stir every fifteen minutes to keep it softer). It is truly decadent and wonderful. I don't have the formula with me, but I know there are some similar recipes floating around the net. The hard part is to remember not to eat it!

I have never experienced any stickiness with chocolate in a product, but I keep the percentage small.

I am drooling here just reading the ingredients!

Next time you make a batch, skip the FO and add a bit of sugar, and you can probably eat it :D OK now, I'll probably have to go search for the food grade cocoa and shea butters...

Almost forgot, thanks for the tips on cooling! I haven't done much of B&B stuff, so it's nice to know the tricks ahead of time.

Edited by Reg