C-3 Sinkholes

Its me, again,

Last night I decided to play around with some C-3. Following the directions, I melted 2 pounds to 190, which was hard to do! I then mixed in my liquid dye, 16 drops and 2oz CandleScience Graham FO. Then I poured at 165. This was poured into three frosted glass containers that measure 2.75" x 3.5" deep. And then came these sink holes.

Now, I have done some looking around here and found that this wax is prone to sinking. I poured into pre-warmed containers. When poured, I sat them in an oven that had been pre-heated on the 'warm' setting and cracked the door. The leftover wax in the pour pitcher didn't sink (don't mind that poke hole, that was my fault:smiley2:) The wax in the pitcher cooled in the boiling water I used to melt the wax. So, any suggestions? Poor cooler, cooler even slower? I can see this hobby is going to get expensive :embarasse

James

C-3.jpg

I have never gotten this wax not to have airpockets or sinking. Someone on this board said they did, but in my experience there is usually an airpocket lurking under the surface. I poke and heatgun all my candles. I pour at about 160-170, don't heat jars unless they're really cold.

Hey there,

What do you mean when you say you poke? You poke and then do a second pour? Is it OK to do two pours in containers? I did read that slow cooling was the key to this wax, that is why I heated my jars.

Thanks

my tops actually usually look great; however, underneath there are pockets of air. I just a really large bamboo skewer and poke three good size holes into the candle around the wick. then heat gun until the pockets are filled up. :cool2:

I have found that if I heat to 180, add FO at 175 and pour slowly immediately after stirring in the FO, I get neither air pockets nor sink holes. But I usually get a small circular crack around the inside of the container, so you still need a heat gun or second pour. IMO, this wax is worth testing because it has a very good cold and hot throw, the best out of the 5 soy waxes I've tried.

BTW, I wrap a kitchen towel around my containers to help insulate them as they cool, which really helps with the sink holes. I do not preheat my jars.