probably a stupid and embarrassing question

rebeccajo99

I'm going to be placing my first lye order soon and the best place (so far, still have to check 1 local place yet) I have found for me is to order through the lye guy as long as I do his buy 5 get 1 free deal. :eek:

So here is my stupid question. Does lye go bad? If it makes a difference, it will be NaOH

I'm sure once I get using it more it won't be a problem to buy that much, but while i'm learning, that may take me a little bit to get through that much lye.

not a dumb question! It can. Or rather, more than "go bad" it can get clumpy and nasty from humidity. So its super important its kept in a dry, cool place without a ton of humidity. I bought one of those humidity sucking things.. filled with those dry pellets, and I place it inside a container that has my lye bottles in it. I change it about every 6 months.

Thanks. May I ask what you are using for your "humidity eaters" and where you get them. The room I use for my workshop stays pretty cool and the closet I will be putting it in stays dark, but I don't know how humid it is. I would rather be safe than sorry:)

Do you use something like a rubbermaid container to store you lye bottles in?

Have to rethink about my box on the top shelf in my closet idea:smiley2:

They are in 2lb bottles, and then I put those bottles in a big rubbermaid tub.

I went and looked at the thing, its called damp rid. Its calcium chloride.

I dont think you need it, but my storage for lye is in the same room as my washer and dryer so I think its best to be safe rather than sorry. http://www.damprid.com/

this is the one I use.. you refill it every 45 days but mine lasts alot longer than that, it doesnt absorb as much water as one in a bathroom might. Then I change the unit every 6 months or so. http://www.damprid.com/indexd86f.html

Edited by LuminousBoutique