How to make a melt and pour base?

SimplyBea

Okay - this might sound like a silly question with all the great suppliers out there but........

At the market I go to, there is another person who sells M&P soaps and she isn't too concerned about what there is in them......

I get lots of questions from customers and I find it hard to explain the difference without putting my foot in my mouth.....

I do CP because I like knowing what I put into my soaps..... and I wanted to make up a batch of MP from scratch for demo purposes but can't find any recipes online..... :confused:

Anyone has a basic recipe available to share?

I'd like to know too. I just looked at MP soap I bought from Michael's, and it says, "Pure glycerin soap... blah blah blah...", but never lists the ingredients. This soap is actually white and opaque, so there are more ingredients then just glyceryn. Maybe the clear soap is all glycerin.

I'm not sure why you want to make one from scratch? I have never seen a recipe for MP.

If you actually look at the ingredients of many MP bases, you will find that they are made with many of the same ingredients as CP soap, at least the ones I use anyway- with a few exceptions - Sorbitol (moisturizer/humectant), Sorbitan oleate (surfactant/emulsifier), and Soy bean protein (skin conditioning). These ingredients are in the MP soap that I use, but are not found in CP/HP. All are safe to use and should not be a cause of concern.

There are many different types of MP soap bases and some are much better than others. I would definitely not compare MP soap that you purchase from Michaels with MP soap that you can find elsewhere.

M&P base can be made by using HP process, and adding ethanol at gel stage.... plus an extra bit of glycerin, or my using your already made CP soap (hard cure is best).

The process is similar to rebatching. You will melt down your grated soap, add ethanol slowly, stir stir stir. add glycerin. Eventually, you'll get an ethanol trace. Let it harden overnight. Remelt. Harden. Each time you remelt, it's getting rid of more water content.

The color will be similar to a gelatin-- not totally colorless. But, it takes color well.