Melt&Pour Ingredients

caryfh

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes. I am wanting to add a clear Melt&Pour soap base to one of my bath/body recipes. The supplier lists the INCI ingredients, but I can't figure out how those ingredients meld with me (what particular order will things fall in). How can I determine what % or grams of each ingredient were used to create the melt/pour base? Do suppliers ever give this information out?

If they are listing their ingredients properly, the order they list them in should be the order YOU would list them in as well. If you are adding fragrance, it would probably be last on the list as you don't use massive amounts of fragrance in MP.

it would be easy if the quantity of the melt&pour base that I use was less than the amount of my other ingredients. But if I have say 10 ingredients, and in terms of weight the m&p falls at #8, I then have trouble figuring out where my other stand along ingredients #9 and #10 fall in the order, because I have to factor in the ingredient list of the soap. Ugh.

could you contact the supplier of your M&P base and ask where you would the ingrediants at the percentage point. For example, if you use 2% Fragrance and 1% baking soda, ask, where would I put the ingrediants that I add at 2% and the one at 1%. I would think they would be able to help you figure that out.

I want to say one of the websites that I went to when I was first researching M&P bases had it listed on there that if you use 5% of something, list the ingrediant between these 2 ingrediant. I can't remember what website it was, sorry:sad2:, so I would think the suppliers would know that information (or go streight to the place thats it for the suppliers)

They had some info like that listed for anything below 3%, unfortunately I had a few ingredients that were tricky to place. So I "live chatted" with a rep this morning, and they said it was proprietary info... and I said that I couldn't use their product if I can't label mine correctly. So now I'm going to try to figure out a way to make up some formula of my own... Jen Welch at lotioncrafter.com has been incredibly helpful with that side of it. So frustrating how paranoid everyone seems to be when you start asking questions. I have no desire to make my own melt/pour base... but you would think I was some sort of body care spy the way everyone shuts up when you start asking a few questions. :confused:

• 2 years later...