I need an experienced eye...

Reg

I made two batches of soap, one HP and one CP (these are my very first soaps), and I have no idea if they look like they are supposed to look.

[ATTACH]20339[/ATTACH]

this one is CP, made on June 26th. There are some spots on the cut side that look whiter then the rest of the soap, so I was wondering if it's just the way the soap hardens as it cures, or if that's lye. This is olive oil only soap, I made it 5% superfat, so theoreticly there should be no excess lye, but I have no idea for sure.

[ATTACH]20340[/ATTACH]

this one is HP olive and coconut oil, made on June 23rd. It really looks yellow, kidn of marbled, and somewhat translucent. Is this the way it's supposed to look?

post-12252-139458471039_thumb.jpg

post-12252-139458471045_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reg

Well the CP one looks like a hunk of provolone cheese to me. The white spots ... no, that's not how it looks when it cures (at least mine doesn't.) It looks like palm to me. If palm isn't stirred in well enough, it can leave that appearance. It can probably do it under other instances too though. If it were lye, it would be between wet and oozy to crusty, crumbly, white generally == will almost look like a white burn.

The HP looks fine to me. I'd just say pack your molds a little more.

Well the CP one looks like a hunk of provolone cheese to me. The white spots ... no, that's not how it looks when it cures (at least mine doesn't.) It looks like palm to me. If palm isn't stirred in well enough, it can leave that appearance. It can probably do it under other instances too though. If it were lye, it would be between wet and oozy to crusty, crumbly, white generally == will almost look like a white burn.

The HP looks fine to me. I'd just say pack your molds a little more.

Thanks for your reply!

I am really new to soapmaking, I don't know what palm is? Would it disappear if I "hand mill" (rebatch) it?

Thanks for your reply!

I am really new to soapmaking, I don't know what palm is??

just wondering..you are using palm but have no idea what palm is??

wait..I just reread you said it was just olive oil that you used?? if so..it could be lye..have you tried using the bar??

just wondering..you are using palm but have no idea what palm is??

wait..I just reread you said it was just olive oil that you used?? if so..it could be lye..have you tried using the bar??

So "palm" is palm oil, or is it something else?

I have not tried using this soap yet, I made it on 6/27, so I am waiting for it to cure.